Sign in to follow this  
ghotirein

terrain rendering and walking

Hi folks, i have some questions: 1.) I'd like to make an game which is in the open air. Like the dessert. I want to be able to walk like a thousand miles or whatever in my world. (not that i am going to make it so large) and i want it to be a technique which needs as few resources as possible. How is this done? what techinques are used ? 2.) I guess the above technique will be something with a divide algorythm so that you only have to render triangles in the neighboorhood. And if so it will make this question maybe a little trivial but how do you calculate how high you are as character ? (if divide, then there are not many triangles to calculate so you can just test the triangles to get the high you'll have) 3.) With large environments is there anything that i have to keep in mind regarding skyboxes ? It is for a first person perspective game, Greets ghotirein

Quote:
Original post by ghotirein
Hi folks,

i have some questions:

1.) I'd like to make an game which is in the open air. Like the dessert. I want to be able to walk like a thousand miles or whatever in my world. (not that i am going to make it so large) and i want it to be a technique which needs as few resources as possible. How is this done? what techinques are used ?

Many different Level Of Detail (LOD) approaches can be used. Most of them are documented on vterrain.org.

Quote:
Original post by ghotirein
2.) I guess the above technique will be something with a divide algorythm so that you only have to render triangles in the neighboorhood. And if so it will make this question maybe a little trivial but how do you calculate how high you are as character ? (if divide, then there are not many triangles to calculate so you can just test the triangles to get the high you'll have)

The formula is not that difficult: think barycentric coordinates.

Quote:
Original post by ghotirein3.) With large environments is there anything that i have to keep in mind regarding skyboxes ?

No - except that I would prefer a skydome with correct color interpolation (see Preetham's paper). A skybox will be too static and will not really look that good.

Regards,