license for my game

Started by
7 comments, last by Tom Sloper 17 years ago
Is there a standard license that I can just copy+paste for my own created game? The game will be sold online directly to end customers, who will then download the game. I thought of showing the license on the first "page" of the installation program with "I agree"/"Cancel" buttons.
Advertisement
Not knowing the terms of your own license can be a recipe for disaster. There are many licenses out there on the web, I suggest you dig up a few, read or skim through them, and then pick one which bests suits how you wish to make your game available.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. I now realise that I wasn't really clear in my first post, I will of course read the license first.
I have tried to find some, but with no luck.
There are many good licenses out there, and you can just rip them verbatim or change a word or two, there's no problem with that.

If you suggest what permissions and restrictions you are looking for, we might be able to suggest some.

Quote:There are many good licenses out there, and you can just rip them verbatim or change a word or two, there's no problem with that.

Odd thing, but in some jurisdictions license text is ... copyrighted! You just can't "rip out" good license as you just can't "rip out" good MP3s or games.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
in some jurisdictions license text is ... copyrighted! You just can't "rip out" good license as you just can't "rip out" good MP3s or games.

Can you name some of those jurisdictions, anonymous person?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

To the AP: there are different rules for purely functional text than there are for creative works.
I want the normal permissions and restrictions for a commercial game. I don't know exactly how else to formulate it. The fee is for 1 license of the game, you may not give it out to others, etc.
Quote:Original post by Decept
I want the normal permissions and restrictions for a commercial game. I don't know exactly how else to formulate it. The fee is for 1 license of the game, you may not give it out to others, etc.

Dec,
If you want an EULA for your game, just look at some other games' EULAs. Adjust the wording to suit your needs. Either that or hire a lawyer, and I know you don't want to do that (hardly anybody ever does). Or Google "how to write a EULA" for some useful tips from knowledgeable people.
Tom

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement