Sign in to follow this  
DrunkCanada

Good Direct Sound programming resources

I told my friend I would try to program him a demo (in exchange for making me some sprites!) in witch the player contolls a sprite with the frequency and amplitude of his voice (aparently he has a game Idea that could change the world).I am new to sound programming and I was wondering if you guys could point me to some good resources for sound programming.One of my books made a reference to a Direct Sound interface called IDirectSoundCapture would learning this interface be a good one to use for the mic input?

In terms of getting mic input, there are loads of libraries for getting sound input - DirectSound might be deprecated, I think, but I may be wrong. In any case, try taking a look at an FFT library. Fastest Fourier Transform in the West is probably a good place to start. An FFT is a fast algorithm for the implementation of a discrete Fourier transform (which converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain). It's also perhaps worthwhile looking at Wavelet analysis/transforms. More generally, the topic you're looking at is digital signal (sound) processing - a topic which is nicely covered by this (free, online) textbook.

However, the previous are fairly technical and advanced - it's quite possible that this all might have been nicely abstracted by some API somewhere so it's worth looking down that alleyway first, I'd say.

Quote:
Original post by DrunkCanada
frequency and amplitude of his voice (aparently he has a game Idea that could change the world)

The idea of using frequency/amplitude of voice isn't entirely new, just so that he knows. The application however - who knows?