Programming games using scene-classes

Started by
14 comments, last by space warp 17 years ago
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by space warp
Really? I though state machines where when you had a enum or similar structure to describe the game state and then a ... don't know what to call it ... "router-function" decides what functions to call based on the game state and I'm definetly not doing that.
No, that's simply one of many idioms used to implement a state machine.

Okay. Then it might be a state machine. But I'm still not calling it rigid.

I love programming discussions :)
.sehkteeah erthyahr gahro
Advertisement
Um, all right. (Has anyone besides you used the word "rigid" in this thread? Does anybody besides you know what you mean by it?)
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Basically, you seem to be advocating a state machine that is hard-coded and monolithic, versus a state machine that is designed to be generic and reusable. Have I misunderstood you? I don't see any advantage to your suggestion as I currently understand it and think that a tutorial on the subject would only serve to increase the spread of bad or misinformation.

Not the word no, but I figured that's what jpetrie meant.
Sorry if I'm wrong.
Thought: Even if this technique is a state machine then I can still make a tutorial/article on it. I still don't think it's an overly complicated way to do things and I really like writing so is anyone still interested in it?
Thought: Even if this technique is a state machine then I can still make a tutorial/article on it. I still don't think it's an overly complicated way to do things and I really like writing so is anyone still interested in it?

Err...... not really. Please don't take this badly, but based on the quality of your explanations here you don't seem to be in a position to write good, clear tutorials which elucidate rather than obscure knowledge. You don't have a good handle on the domain-specific vocabulary or descriptions of software design. Remember, it takes a great deal more expertise (and other things) to teach something than it does to use something, and while you seem to have no problem with the latter I doubt you're ready for the former. Sorry. (I really am. Don't worry, though; you'll get there.)
Quote:Original post by Sneftel

Err...... not really. Please don't take this badly, but based on the quality of your explanations here you don't seem to be in a position to write good, clear tutorials which elucidate rather than obscure knowledge. You don't have a good handle on the domain-specific vocabulary or descriptions of software design. Remember, it takes a great deal more expertise (and other things) to teach something than it does to use something, and while you seem to have no problem with the latter I doubt you're ready for the former. Sorry. (I really am. Don't worry, though; you'll get there.)

I don't take it badly, it fits my own oppinion quite well. I've never been good at explaining things quickly, expert or no expert (but I am from Sweden so there's your language problem). It's just that I think it would be really good if someone wrote a tutorial or article that shows at least one way to organize scenes in games. When I started programming OpenGL I couldn't find any good explanations on the subject, so I had to figure things out on my own (which in the beginning wasn't a good thing really).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement