Sign in to follow this  
Shadowflare

PeekMessage()

Shadowflare    132
Greetings, I have a problem that's been hounding me and I can't figure out it's source. Basically, in a simple windows application, I'm using PeekMessage() in my main program loop to handle incoming messages. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be picking up the WM_QUIT message. Here is my WndProc and my loop:
// The WndProc function
LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT nMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
	switch(nMsg)
	{
	case WM_CLOSE:
		DestroyWindow(hWnd);
		break;

case WM_DESTROY:
		PostQuitMessage(0);
		break;
	}

return DefWindowProc(hWnd, nMsg, wParam, lParam);
}

// My program loop
BOOL bDone = FALSE;
MSG  msg;

// ...unimportant code...

while(bDone == FALSE)
{
        PeekMessage(&msg, hWnd, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE);

if(msg.message == WM_QUIT)
		bDone = TRUE;
        else {
             // ...game handling code...
        }

TranslateMessage(&msgMessage);
	DispatchMessage(&msgMessage);

}

If I close my program, it destroys the window but continues to run. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Aardvajk    13207
I think you need to return 0; after you handle WM_CLOSE and WM_DESTROY, rather than let the case drop through to DefWindowProc(). Otherwise your loop and so on look very similar to some code I have to hand so I don't see any other potential causes.

I'm not sure about that though. Worth a try.

{
switch(nMsg)
{
case WM_CLOSE:
DestroyWindow(hWnd);
return 0;

case WM_DESTROY:
PostQuitMessage(0);
return 0;
}

}

I'm also not sure if you need to call DestroyWindow() as part of WM_CLOSE. I've never handled WM_CLOSE directly and always passed that along to DefWindowProc() personally.

HTH

[EDIT] The SDK help has just confirmed that if you handle WM_CLOSE, you should return 0; after calling DestroyWindow() rather than letting DefWindowProc() have another bash at it. It also confirms that if you handle WM_DESTROY, you should return 0; I'd guess those are your problem.

Shadowflare    132
I modified my code thus to try out your solution:

{
switch(nMsg)
{
case WM_DESTROY:
PostQuitMessage(0);
break;

default:

}

return 0;
}

You were right about WM_CLOSE, my program doesn't seem to even encounter it, so why clutter? :P

Returning 0 instead of DefWindowProc() didn't work though.

I actually discovered that the WM_QUIT message must be getting sent, because if I change my loop to use GetMessage() instead:

while(GetMessage(&msg, hWnd, 0, 0) > 0) // This is a no-no, I know, just for testing purposes =P
{
// ...code...

TranslateMessage(&msg);
DispatchMessage(&msg);
}

the program exits the way it's supposed to, even using my former WndProc(). I'm baffled by this O,o

The problem here is that my program is a game, and so GetMessage() will not work since I've got rendering going on.

Evil Steve    2017
You should pass NULL for the hWnd parameter. WM_QUIT is a thread message, not a window message, and passing a non-NULL window handle will only give you window messages.

So always pass NULL for the hWnd parameter to PeekMessage() and GetMessage() unless you have a reason to do otherwise.