Sign in to follow this  
seanmusgrave

Easiest way to become a game designer?

seanmusgrave    122
Hi, I'm very interested in becoming a hobby game designer with a team for either an original or existing game. It seems to be something difficult to break into, as most existing hobby game projects only have open posistions for technical or artistic staff. I have adequate technical and artistic skills, but I really want to do game design. Is the easiest way to become a game designer to spearhead an original project? If so, I have several unfinished solo works I could turn into group projects. What should I have to present to perspective team members to solicit interest in it? Is it easier to join an existing project? If so, what existing projects have open posistoins for game designers? Thanks!

Alpha_ProgDes    6936
When performing as a game designer, you HAVE to show that you won't be a 'manager', ie. someone who points to others and tells them what to do. A Completed design document is essential. This doesn't only include the gameplay and story. But also the platform, direction, presentation, language, API, 2D or 3D, and genre.

Oluseyi    2116
Become a producer. Do the intangible things that need to be done to get the game made. Get the hosting, the software for communications, be the secretary, coordinate the meetings and send out the minutes, check in on everybody, volunteer to be responsible for the source code repository, etc.

In the independent arena, there's a certain amount of scorn for "designers," when they don't have another "tangible" skill. Be a designer-producer, win your team's respect, and contribute in multiple ways and you'll find that you're essential to the project's success.

Good luck.

Kaze    948
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
In the independent arena, there's a certain amount of scorn for "designers," when they don't have another "tangible" skill. Be a designer-producer, win your team's respect, and contribute in multiple ways and you'll find that you're essential to the project's success.

probably becouse everyone who want to make a game but doesn't have any "tangible" skills and isn't willing to learn one decides that they are now a game designer

SimonForsman    7642
Without technical or artistic skills it is extremely difficult to get a position as a game designer for professional games.

In general it is close to impossible to get a lead game design job unless:
A) you allready work at the company in question.
B) you have worked as a game designer at another company and have designed a couple of successful shipped games.

for independent teams it is virtually impossible to get the lead designer position as the person creating the team usually takes that job.

Most indie projects won't recruit pure game-designers as
1) Everyone wants to do game design, including the artists and programmers allready on the team, thus there is virtually no reason to recruit game designers.
2) Extremely competent game designers are hard to find, you need a strong portfolio if you want people to take you seriously. (Completed games, doesn't necessarily have to be computer games)).

If you create your own team you need to think about a few things:

Why would anyone who has a reasonable amount of skill in their field work on your game instead of their own ? (The answer to this question is the key to attract developers to your team).

Why aren't your solo projects finnished ?

janta    345
You could start as a QA person (aka "tester"). It is a nice entry point to becoming a Game Designer, in some game companies (at least it is the one I work for)