Sign in to follow this  
glBender

[web] Is this copyright infringement?

glBender    156
Well not copyright, but I can't remember the word I'm looking for. I'm still working on that site for my school's video game club. The club is named "Game Fanatix". A quick google of the term brings up "www.game-fanatix.com". Would using the domain "www.GameFanatixClub.com" be different enough from it? I obviously am not in any position to take away customers from them, and I don't think anyone would confuse the two. I just want to check with you guys before I make any moves.

Qitsune    186
What is www.game-fanatix.com? Is it trademarked? In what country is it? Is there a possibility that someone confuses it for your school club?

glBender    156
Its in the US, I guess they have online video game rentals. I don't know if it is trademarked or not... And I'm not sure how I'd check that. I really don't think someone would confuse my club with it.

Daaark    3553
Quote:
Original post by glBender
Its in the US, I guess they have online video game rentals. I don't know if it is trademarked or not... And I'm not sure how I'd check that. I really don't think someone would confuse my club with it.
Why don't you just spell fanatics correctly, and avoid the whole issue?

GameFanaticsClub.whatever

glBender    156
If that's what you think I should do I will, its just that the club already exists under the name "Game Fanatix", so I wanted to follow that.

Excors    715
Quote:
I don't know if it is trademarked or not... And I'm not sure how I'd check that.
Their site has a "TM" after the logo, which indicates that it is, and the USPTO search agrees. (I don't know if it covers only the logo, or the words too; but I would assume the latter since that's the safer assumption). A video game club is probably similar enough to a video game store that they could legitimately object to you using the same name - anyone who hears of both groups could easily assume the club is officially related to the store. So I'd recommend using a different name.