Sign in to follow this  
ryguy4377

Doing some research on what people want to see in FPS games...

keithburgun    101
To me, RPG elements are very intriguing and have not been tapped out much for FPS games.

Also physics is an area of HUGE promise (Check out the videos for Havok 4.0)

Also I would be interested in some kind of FPS / 4X type of game, as far as I know this does not exist. Something where there is resource management, mission planning, etc etc, but then you go down and it's FPS style.

Also I love randomly generated content for ANY type of game.

Soldarith    122
I took the survey as well. My vote was for nonlinear gameplay. There are just far too many FPS games out there with cool graphics, awesome sound, great AI, lots of cool weapons and items...then they drop the ball on gameplay: run in a straight line for x-xx hours, kill everything in front of you, complete the game's main storyline and finish the game. For some, that is fun; for others, it is lacking.

I think some items, such as graphics, are really dictated by the industry's "standard" of games. Game's that fall under the "standard" just won't make the cut on the market and gamers won't take a serious look at the game.

ryguy4377    198
Quote:
Original post by Soldarith
I took the survey as well. My vote was for nonlinear gameplay. There are just far too many FPS games out there with cool graphics, awesome sound, great AI, lots of cool weapons and items...then they drop the ball on gameplay: run in a straight line for x-xx hours, kill everything in front of you, complete the game's main storyline and finish the game. For some, that is fun; for others, it is lacking.

I think some items, such as graphics, are really dictated by the industry's "standard" of games. Game's that fall under the "standard" just won't make the cut on the market and gamers won't take a serious look at the game.

Yeah, I agree...to tell the truth, my philosophy is that people come for the graphics, but they stay for the gameplay =).

Soldarith    122
Quote:
Original post by ryguy4377
Yeah, I agree...to tell the truth, my philosophy is that people come for the graphics, but they stay for the gameplay =).

I don't think that is said often enough, so I'm quoting :)

Even the greatest looking games fail at holding a player's attention if they don't have the substance to back it up.

WorldPlanter    266
I'm probably the only one here who voted for more hidden areas, and I can understand why. It's not really that important when compared to gameplay, AI, dynamics, or graphics, but it's been a long time since I've played an FPS that had more to offer than what is on the surface of the core content of the game.

Exploration is usually associated with adventure games more often than with FPS games, but as a diversified player I like my FPS games to be more about just shooting and running through linear levels. I guess this would be closely related to non-linear gameplay, which would receive an equally high vote from me.

ryguy4377    198
Thanks again for the replies...

Well I guess its kindof interesting that not a whole lot of people have voted for graphics when that seems to be a primary focus of improvement in the current industry =).

Palidine    1315
Quote:
Even the greatest looking games fail at holding a player's attention if they don't have the substance to back it up.

Ah...but from a short-term business perspective all that matters it them coming to the door (buying the game). If they don't come to the door then that great gameplay won't make a difference.

For long-term success I think you want what games like Half-Life & Half-Life2 offer: amazing graphics & amazing depth of story & consistency of mechanics (but delivered on a console so you can get the better # of sales). In an ideal world we'd all have 6-8 years to develop our games.

-me

ryguy4377    198
Quote:
Original post by Palidine
Quote:

Ah...but from a short-term business perspective all that matters it them coming to the door (buying the game). If they don't come to the door then that great gameplay won't make a difference.

For long-term success I think you want what games like Half-Life & Half-Life2 offer: amazing graphics & amazing depth of story & consistency of mechanics (but delivered on a console so you can get the better # of sales). In an ideal world we'd all have 6-8 years to develop our games.

-me

Yes, I agree. When I said about people coming for the graphics and staying for the gameplay, and gameplay being what makes it last, I was actually referring to lasting not only for the owners, but also on the market =). The reason for this is probably that, the longer a game is out, the more information about it is circulated from person to person; therefore, the more people telling their friends "I can't stop playing this game, its so fun!", the more people are likely to continue buying that game and therefore, increase that game's duration for which is is actively on the market.

Telastyn    3777
Other: Anti-lamer/cheat or similar multiplayer features to ensure a good balanced game.

Oh, and cutting down on the potent and/or spammy weapons to widen the gap between good and bad would be nice too. Oh, and teamplay modes. Yes, teamplay modes good.

Deleter    169
Quote:
Well I guess its kindof interesting that not a whole lot of people have voted for graphics when that seems to be a primary focus of improvement in the current industry =).

Well I think that's why people don't vote for it. The industry has gone a bit too far and has left most other innovations/improvements behind. Graphics are nearing photorealism, yet the occasional npc still gets stuck in corners and mechanics have progressed fairly little in most genres (honestly I think the health bar in fps's is quite outdated and in need of an upgrade, same with the standard resource model in most rts's)

suliman    1653
i would say gameplay but:

everyone (including me) here says : gameplay+originality etc. Graphics is NOT the main thing.

But:
To be realistic, look at the commercial scene. And ponder that this is a forum for game-making nerds that have a more "sophisticated"/analytic aproach to games. That often still play age old classics for the gameplay, games that the vast majority or customers out there would not even look at, let alone buy.

I agree that the best FPS (like halflife 2) has both graphics, good gameplay and good physics, but that game was extreemely expensive to make. Smart but not-good looking games sometimes find a small fanbase of "alterative gamers" that is looking for something special, away from the mainstream games.

Or put it even more bitterly :)
1. Make a game that sells
or
2. Make a good game

One poster on this forum (without joking) put it this way:
"I think graphics is what sells. Gameplay is just for hardcore fans."

So there you have it. Gameplay is not necessary at all. It's a curiosa. Sadly many commercial games are devoloped using that formula: Take something old, insert todays graphics, sell it.

Thats why i make games for nerds like me. No worrying about competing in the commerical scene. Just trying out interesting gameplay. On the other hand, i do this for a hobby, so i dont need to sell it...
Erik

JBourrie    1204
Remove the S. Seriously, the S limits what the game can be. Making an FP will allow S but also allow RP, PJ, and even RTS (but please no MMO, KTHX). You can create a new gaming experience instead of being limited to genre conventions. Or better yet, design a game experience and then decide what viewpoint best fits that experience. TP, TD, I, or SS might work better for your idea and you don't even realize it because you're so focused on the FP aspect.

But if you want to do FP, just don't focus so much on the S that you won't consider the other capital letters you could create.

ryguy4377    198
Quote:
Original post by JBourrie
Remove the S. Seriously, the S limits what the game can be. Making an FP will allow S but also allow RP, PJ, and even RTS (but please no MMO, KTHX). You can create a new gaming experience instead of being limited to genre conventions. Or better yet, design a game experience and then decide what viewpoint best fits that experience. TP, TD, I, or SS might work better for your idea and you don't even realize it because you're so focused on the FP aspect.

But if you want to do FP, just don't focus so much on the S that you won't consider the other capital letters you could create.

What makes you think this is about an idea for a game =)?

JBourrie    1204
Quote:
Quote:

If you mean that you might be doing the research for some other reason, just replace "your idea" with "the design". It's still the same: I'd rather not see the S forced into the FP based solely on genre conventions.

Sirisian    2263
I've never really been pulled to an FPS's story much (well except for Deus-Ex since as many know it's one of the best). I prefer the gameplay much much more than the graphics. One thing that really pulls me into an FPS is a game that has tactics. For instance Planetside and America's Army. The game isn't one of those point click instant kill games. They require actual tactics to stay alive. So basically slow the game down. Even with out multiplayer, slowing the game down allows players a much broader range of choices than just run around the corner and go for head shots.

Along with game play I think the whole general idea of weapons and their role in tactics needs to be reconsidered. The idea of having every gun fire bullets and just changing the spread or fire rate is dull. I'm a strong supporter of multiple firing modes in almost all weapons. So 2-4 firing modes for each weapons. The game Starship Troopers comes to mind. The idea of an assault rifle mixed with a shotgun is a perfect idea. Force the player to change their weapon choice for certain situations. For instance a sniper isn't good for indoors, it should have such an inaccuracy while moving that it cripples it at medium to low range. Same goes for weapons like rocket launchers, or machine guns. If they aren't meant to be used against the AI make it that way.

Hope that helps.

ryguy4377    198
Quote:
Original post by Thermodynamics
So where are the results?

Well, I can't show them until the survey is over (which I'm thinking will be closed this sunday) or else it might effect peoples choices =).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you mean that you might be doing the research for some other reason, just replace "your idea" with "the design". It's still the same: I'd rather not see the S forced into the FP based solely on genre conventions.

Ahh ok, I see what you mean now...well, who says FPS games can't have RPG elements? If that's what you'd like to see, vote for that. I'm just saying FPS to keep the survey targeted specifically towards games in first person that involve some sort of combat.....I'm not trying to restrict what gameplay elements the game can have at all.

Calabi    124
Well I dream of a game which is like the movie Die hard. But it runs in real time (relatively), and has scripted events which happen at certain times, and you can influence. Depending on how you influence them or even if you miss them, then the game carries on down certain tangents. You can forestall some events or cause others to get complicated.

It would have many things of which you could choose to accomplish, no penalties would apply for failing to do things as your main task is to survive and escape. Beyond that is a bonus. You can choose to stop the terrorists, save hostages(even one would be a good thing), save the police or a few other minor things. All of which arent mentioned unless you discover them and how to accomplish them.

You just play the game discovering and watching these scripted events finding out how you can manipulate them and what other effects they may have, possibly even being able to finish the game prematurely, or your actions resulting in wholly worse situations.

JBourrie    1204
Quote:
Ahh ok, I see what you mean now...well, who says FPS games can't have RPG elements? If that's what you'd like to see, vote for that. I'm just saying FPS to keep the survey targeted specifically towards games in first person that involve some sort of combat.....I'm not trying to restrict what gameplay elements the game can have at all.

Just for the record, this response isn't meant to influence the results of the survey, nor is it directly related. I just feel the need to shout from this extremely tall soapbox every once in a while! [lol]

FPS games can have RPG elements, of course. But the S explicity says: "this games focus is on shooting above all else". What I would like to see is designers focusing on making a first-person game, and if the gameplay becomes strictly a shooter then that's ok. But focusing on shooting from the get-go is just limiting what could potentially be a great game.

Maybe it's best if I give a solid example: Portal (Narbacular Drop). Here is a game that required a first-person view to work. The portals are a system that would have been excellent for a shooter. But with Narbacular Drop they didn't limit themselves in the beginning to "we're going to make an FPS with portals". Instead they experimented with the portal system and realized that platform puzzles were much more interesting. Now that Portal is being created, they are adding the S to the equation (or at least I think they are...), but since their source material was not a shooter they are making a much more unique game.