Doing some research on what people want to see in FPS games...

Started by
26 comments, last by BCullis 17 years ago
Hello, I am currently conducting some research on what people want to see most in up and coming First Person Shooter games. If you have a moment, please take the time to participate in this extremely short survey. Thanks in advance!, -Ryan
Advertisement
definitely nonlinear gameplay and intelligent (human) npcs. (yes i took the survey just thought id post here too)
I chose in game physics. I like for the game world to make sense.
Quote:Original post by Adriac Veras
I chose in game physics. I like for the game world to make sense.

[shameless_plug]Then you should have chosen better AI![/shameless_plug]

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

To me, RPG elements are very intriguing and have not been tapped out much for FPS games.

Also physics is an area of HUGE promise (Check out the videos for Havok 4.0)

Also I would be interested in some kind of FPS / 4X type of game, as far as I know this does not exist. Something where there is resource management, mission planning, etc etc, but then you go down and it's FPS style.

Also I love randomly generated content for ANY type of game.
= Keith Burgun - Lead Design/Music= Dinosaur Development Farm= www.dinosaurlightning.com/ddf
Thanks for the replies so far!
I took the survey as well. My vote was for nonlinear gameplay. There are just far too many FPS games out there with cool graphics, awesome sound, great AI, lots of cool weapons and items...then they drop the ball on gameplay: run in a straight line for x-xx hours, kill everything in front of you, complete the game's main storyline and finish the game. For some, that is fun; for others, it is lacking.

I think some items, such as graphics, are really dictated by the industry's "standard" of games. Game's that fall under the "standard" just won't make the cut on the market and gamers won't take a serious look at the game.
Quote:Original post by Soldarith
I took the survey as well. My vote was for nonlinear gameplay. There are just far too many FPS games out there with cool graphics, awesome sound, great AI, lots of cool weapons and items...then they drop the ball on gameplay: run in a straight line for x-xx hours, kill everything in front of you, complete the game's main storyline and finish the game. For some, that is fun; for others, it is lacking.

I think some items, such as graphics, are really dictated by the industry's "standard" of games. Game's that fall under the "standard" just won't make the cut on the market and gamers won't take a serious look at the game.

Yeah, I agree...to tell the truth, my philosophy is that people come for the graphics, but they stay for the gameplay =).

Quote:Original post by ryguy4377
Yeah, I agree...to tell the truth, my philosophy is that people come for the graphics, but they stay for the gameplay =).

I don't think that is said often enough, so I'm quoting :)

Even the greatest looking games fail at holding a player's attention if they don't have the substance to back it up.

I'm probably the only one here who voted for more hidden areas, and I can understand why. It's not really that important when compared to gameplay, AI, dynamics, or graphics, but it's been a long time since I've played an FPS that had more to offer than what is on the surface of the core content of the game.

Exploration is usually associated with adventure games more often than with FPS games, but as a diversified player I like my FPS games to be more about just shooting and running through linear levels. I guess this would be closely related to non-linear gameplay, which would receive an equally high vote from me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement