Turner Classic Movie Competition

Started by
9 comments, last by Rain 7 17 years ago
Is anyone else getting involved with this? For a bit of fun I am submitting a piece for the Turner Composition competition at Turner Classic Movies. We are given a piece of video and our job is to score it! I have had a bit of experience with film scoring, but not much, so I thought I would use this opportunity to get better with my technique. I don't expect to win but I am pretty happy with the final result. A Love that is not to be I really tried to set up the scene naturally, playing the most with the dialogue and character interaction, while trying to stay true to the heart of old cinema scoring technique...though I could improve a few of these areas in subtle ways with orchestration. I would like to add some more filling out, but my computer is acting all haywire. I am really lucky I bounced my audio before my computer started acting up. If worst comes down to it, I will just submit what I have. So 'ere it goes!
Advertisement
Good luck! I wanted to do that contest, but am way too busy to be involved right now. :( I did submit something to the BFI contest held earlier this month. We'll see how I did.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Cool, so have you done a few of these competitions in the past? If so, perhaps a few pointers? :)

At any rate, good luck to both of us then!
Rain7,I'm doing the contest too.
I love what you wrote! It's a beautiful piece and fits the mood very well!
Good luck with the contest.
Hey by the way, what did you use for the sounds?
Quote:Original post by Wallimann
Rain7,I'm doing the contest too.
I love what you wrote! It's a beautiful piece and fits the mood very well!
Good luck with the contest.
Hey by the way, what did you use for the sounds?

Wallimann, hey thanks! Thanks so much for checking it out. I used Platinum Orchestra (eastwest) to compose the music. I am starting to use it properly and its really starting to pay off! Its an amazing piece of software. The price is a bit steep but it really does orchestral music the right way in regards to selling the quality/authenticity of individual instruments.

Good luck to us. :)
I like your entry, the mood fits the picture really well.
I'm doing the contest as well but picked clip 3, more as an exercise than expecting to win - although a trip to LA would be nice, I'll try to post a link to it.
Email: martin@mbsounds.comWeb: www.mbsounds.com
Which contest? Where? I wanna see!

Oh, and the piece sounds wonderful Rain, is Platinum Orchestra (EastWest) really thís good?

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
the closing date has passed now (31st March) but here's the link anyway.

http://www.turnerclassicmovies-yfcc.com/index.asp
Email: martin@mbsounds.comWeb: www.mbsounds.com
Quote:Original post by mbsounds
I like your entry, the mood fits the picture really well.
I'm doing the contest as well but picked clip 3, more as an exercise than expecting to win - although a trip to LA would be nice, I'll try to post a link to it.
Thanks! I pretty much did this as an exercise as well. I saw the winner's submission from last year...and cringed with jealousy. Still, I won't be too bitter. This is my second or third attempt at scoring to film and even if winning doesn't happen, the enjoyment that I experienced while working on the music more than pays off.

I look forward to seeing your clip!

wasn't aware of this, might have been helpful if you posted the link before it ended...

will check your piece at some point

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement