Just a moment of your time ...

Started by
15 comments, last by Endar 17 years ago
Hey guys, I just finished a demo, a little 2d top-down space shooter, that I'll be using as a portfolio, along with the level tool I made to build the level. I was wondering if some of you would be willing to play it through once or twice and tell me what you think. Especially if those of you who actually hire people for your respective companies could tell me what you think it's worth as a demo piece. I will be applying first to the game dev studios in the area, and if that doesn't pan out, I'll be looking everywhere (so I'm not just naively thinking I'll get a job in the game industry, it's just what I'm trying first). This would be for a junior programming job or an internship, and the website of the particular studio that made me think of making this (and the first one that I'll be applying to) did say that a game as simple as Galaga or Pacman would be fine. Download Link It was written in C++, on top of the basic graphics engine that I've also written. The graphics engine is written with C++ and DirectX. The level tool was written in C# and I think required the .NET 2.0 framework (although I'm not sure about the 2.0). P.S. Turn down the sound effects and the music a bit. When I test it I usually have the sound effects on 10 and the music on maybe 50. Edit:: Download link fixed. [Edited by - Endar on March 21, 2007 5:48:05 AM]
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
I would've tried it, but I don't seem to have d3dx9_31.dll on this computer (I might not have DX9 at all).
it's not working unless you have .net. missing mscp80.dll and mscr80.dll. add them in your zip.

Everything is better with Metal.

Redownload.

I have added the self-extracting executable that provides all of the re-distributable files for VC++ 2005.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
I just tried your game.
Its not bad but i think you definitely need to add mouse support :=).
Also the enemy ships are firing slowly but they fire alot and soon the whole screen is covered with bullets.And the bullets move slowly too.So they stay in the screen.
Quote:Original post by Black Knight
I just tried your game.
Its not bad but i think you definitely need to add mouse support :=).
Also the enemy ships are firing slowly but they fire alot and soon the whole screen is covered with bullets.And the bullets move slowly too.So they stay in the screen.

Since this is only a demo, mouse support isn't really essential at the moment, but I definately agree about the bullets. I have to find a balance between moving fast enough to not leave the screen cluttered, and moving too fast to dodge. Shouldn't be too hard.
The code would be at least as interesting to see, as the application, if you are looking for a programming job...
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
The code would be at least as interesting to see, as the application, if you are looking for a programming job...

Which part of the code would be best? Even for just a small demo like this, there's a lot of it.
Just bear in mind that the company you apply for is going to be more interested in the code than the game. It doesn't really matter how it plays - chances are high that in your first game industry job, you won't have much say in that sort of matter anyway.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Just bear in mind that the company you apply for is going to be more interested in the code than the game.

Yeah, I thought so, but, are there any parts of the code (generally speaking of course) that they would be more interested in than any others?

I mean, should I just give them all the source code? Should I attempt to pick out a couple of good classes? Should I draw up a bunch of class diagrams to show my design?

Quote:Original post by Kylotan
... chances are high that in your first game industry job, you won't have much say in that sort of matter anyway.

What do you mean?

Oh, are you talking about if I get an industry job, I won't have any say in the actual design decisions of the game play and feel? Well, yeah, that's only to be expected.

Edit:: will it be slightly more impressive that I built it on top of a basic graphics engine that I also wrote?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement