• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ManaStone

OpenGL What is the deal with Vista?

This topic is 4227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I currently use XP on my laptop, but my brother just got a new computer with Vista and I tested some of my OpenGL applications on it. It goes extremely slow. Is there a solution to this? Should the programs be compiled on a Vista machine? Do I need to mess around with the Vista settings? Will I have to alter my source code to compensate for anything?

Advertisement
I too switched to Vista when i got my new laptop and came from XP. It isn't exactly the same but I program with the Irrlicht engine, and I don't have any problems using OpenGL with it. I keep the Aero display thingy on, but that may have a different effect on different computers. I was told that for OpenGL to work properly, you need to use the Vista Basic theme instead of Aero, but I can't say for sure since mine works fine. I may have tweaked something but I don't remember.

You might want to make sure that the laptop has OpenGL drivers made by whoever made the video card. I didn't have any problems with OGL when running Vista, but I've heard that the default Microsoft OGL drivers are really, really slow.

mmelson is right, I got all my OpenGL apps working perfectly under Vista by simply downloading the correct Nvidia drivers.

Quote:
Original post by kburkhart84
I too switched to Vista when i got my new laptop and came from XP. It isn't exactly the same but I program with the Irrlicht engine, and I don't have any problems using OpenGL with it. I keep the Aero display thingy on, but that may have a different effect on different computers. I was told that for OpenGL to work properly, you need to use the Vista Basic theme instead of Aero, but I can't say for sure since mine works fine. I may have tweaked something but I don't remember.

There are two(or 3) ways to use OpenGL in Vista.

1) through Microsofts own OpenGL 1.4 implementation (which uses D3D) (replaces the software OpenGL 1.1 implementation found in windows XP)

2) use an OpenGL Installable Client Driver that doesn't support Aero

3) use an OpenGL ICD that support Aero.

AFAIK all current nvidia OpenGL drivers work with Aero (Nvidia got aero and opengl working with their 2nd beta driver IIRC), as far as ATI/AMD is concerned i can't say.

to the OP: You need to download the latest drivers for your card, the ones that ship with Vista use method 1 (its alot better than it is to use OpenGL in XP without proper drivers though),

According to nvidia 3D performance in Vista is worse than that of XP however they claim that it is entierly their fault (Basically they say that the good performance in XP is due to them having had over 3 years to optimize their XP drivers while the current Vista drivers more or less just reached a stable state).

ATI has similar problems with performance it seems and will atleast improve performance in D3D. (I wouldn't count on ATI providing decent OpenGL support though, they took ages to get it to a decent level in XP so ...)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!