EGA TILES?

Started by
2 comments, last by discman1028 17 years ago
Hi there, I have an old DOS game that I am trying to grab the tiles, art, or whatever I can from. There's a 107KB file EGATILES.DD2, the largest file the game has, which is a my target. Naive attempt: I looked into EGA to see that it uses a pallette of size 16, with 64 possible colors for each pallette entry. So I figure I would try taking 4 bits at a time, mapping each 4-bit val to a color, and lining them up the colors sequentially (row-major). I wrote a quick prog to do this, and change the (square) tile size on the fly, as well as the amount of any header info to strip out in front, and I can scroll UP/DOWN see if any color patterns arise. I don't see anything distinguishable thus far. What's another step(s) I could try?
--== discman1028 ==--
Advertisement
Looks like someone did it for you.
My guess would be it uses bit planes

ie, sprite data would be segmented into 4 chunks, each chunk specifying 1 bit of each pixel in the chunk.

Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Looks like someone did it for you.

... wow. He went above and beyond. Thanks for the link!

As an interesting side note, I've had this game forever, it's been one of my favorites. But I bought it when it was called "Rooms of Doom". It was a full-fledged product in the bargain bin at Kay-bee, made by "Froggman" not "ID". The manual even has a storyline in it, with the names of the protagonist as Jake, and the damsel in distress as Mikey, which differs from Dangerous Dave's names (obviously). Google turns up almost nothing on "Rooms of Doom" though. Interesting...
--== discman1028 ==--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement