• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cornstalks

Which Book is Right for Me?

This topic is 4262 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to learn how to do good game engine programming. I've made several attempts, but I think it is time to actually buy a book, as I've never bought one before. I use C++ and OpenGL. It wouldn't kill me to learn DirectX though. There are just a million versions of DirectX and I already know OpenGL so I'd prefer to stay there. Topis I really need to learn about include: -Input -GUIs (including custom made and system (Windows) GUIs) -Object handling/storing -Handling 2D and 3D (2D mainly for custom GUIs) -Windows (not the operating system) and viewports -Cameras -Error handling and logging -Any others I don't know about/forgot Topics I would like to later add include sound, networking, object collision, etc. but I think it's more important I learn the above things before I try to add these features. Books I've looked at are: 3D Game Engine Architecture Ultimate Game Programming With DirectX (I prefer to avoid DirectX since it would be a completely new topic to learn, but I'm not afraid to) Ultimate 3D Game Engine Design & Architecture Game Coding Complete 3D Game Engine Design, Second Edition or 3D Game Engine Design, I don't know if Second Edition means better or not... OpenGL Game Programming Which of these books are best, or is there one I completely missed that is better? I'm willing to buy two if necessary. Just so you understand my level of experience, I have made a mandelbrot set that has different rendering options, some programs which makes, renders, and moves around simple objects like spheres and boxes, and an A* pathfinding system.

Advertisement
EDIT: Checking your link, you have it linked to the 1st edition. There is a (much improved) 2nd edition, I'd recommend getting that one.

Greetings,

I can't say much about all the books, but I can say that Game Coding Complete is an amazing book.

It covers most of the stuff you'd like and in fairly good detail. He does use directx with his sample framework, but you can work with ogl without too much trouble.

The author does a good job of breaking down a framework into explainable parts. By no means is his solution the best, but as a beginner programmer, it has given me some insight into various parts of an engine that before I just had no clue.

I would highly recommend this book.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!