• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spx2

fresh start

This topic is 4230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i have some time ago tried to get into game development altough i was pretty poor at it and did want to do more i couldnt because of lack of skills and experience i'm major in maths(or at least i will be if i finish college) and i like games as a nice applications for maths in the "real world". anyhow , i have tried some time ago to make a clone of tetris it wasn't really hard to find out for myself that i couldn't get it done.not that i couldnt make it work but just couldnt get it done in the sense that it would have expected functionality so...i will attach the project,its called marlborotris , its a tetris clone. this is it with source and all there http://rapidshare.com/files/22209422/marlborotris-v0.15.tar.gz what i would like to know more exactly is 1)how much and what math do i need for game developing in general, please be specific and try to cover each type of game at a time 2)what books on programming should i read 3)what skills do i need to have as a programmer more exactly 4)what languages do i need to know (i thought of c++ and asm and for scripting python or perl) i had some algorithmic skills but not enough. also i have almost succeded in passing an interview at ubisoft. so what i'm trying to do is to find out what i need,get my things back together, start over again, do some games, more specifically 1)tetris clone 2)a racing game 3)a fps 4)a strategy game 5)a game of tic-tac-toe but not on 3x3 but on 8x8 with a 4 winning pattern(this i started doing some time ago but failed because i didnt spent enough time thinking on how the ai should act, it was basically pretty poor and i hadn't had a 100% grasp of mini-max,nor do i have now a 100% grasp of it) 6)a game of nim(this i want to do since it has some connections with a book of john h. conway wich started to read and want to do something out of it) 7)a game of chess(this would probably be pretty hard but it will be worth it) i dont have a very strong computer laptop toshiba 1600mhz,192ram,40gb hdd,64mb video ati but i hope it will suffice the needs for doing what i want. i also want to stick to math,and find out how much can i use from it in games. about documentation/books/articles, there's no problem,i have allot of it, the problem is, in what order should i read what i have,and what should i read of what i have because there's also allot of bulky crappy books. what i would also like to know altough it is not fully relevant , but for some reasons for me it appears to be, is if you want to make a game, one of the above,how much time would you spend on a daily basis,or on a weekly basis to do it? these questions should be the start on giving me an ideea of how and what i need to do. thank you in advance for answering any of them

Advertisement
i would also wanted to say that i have read the first
book of bruce eckel Thinking in C++
the question is how do i get accomodated to the new
concepts i've learned ?
is the second book needed ?

another question that i have would be, is MFC necessary ?
OpenGL or DirectX ?
last time i used OpenGL but not the 3d functions, only the 2d
functions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!