• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

i want to make a 'very simple' game

This topic is 3989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

but I have no idea how to go about it .. i can make it with pieces of card and reams and reams of paper, but i want to make it digital as it will be cleaner, faster and more efficient. basically there are teams of 8 - each team plays each other team in a league - each game has 8 rounds, the 8 contestants of each team are shuffled and drawn to compete in individual 'bouts' randomly - each 'bout' consists of 6 rounds of 2 'halves', so 3 rounds, then another 3 rounds - when the 'bouts' are played out in card format, individual cards represent each contestant - the cards are thrown and will land face up or down - if one is face up and one is face down, the face up card 'scores', so each 'bout' has the potential of being from 6-0 to 0-6, and each overall game can score form 8-0 to 0-8. and that's the basic structure i want to somehow write into a programme - i also want to add graphics, just simple drawn images or photos for each contestant - also i would like to expand the league system over 'seasons', and allow transferring of contestants from one team to another (kind of like championship manager the football sim) i hope this makes some kind of sense, and if it does please could someone point me in the direction of any resources which might exist that i could use to make this into a computer programme thankyou very much for reading!

Advertisement
maybe these will be of some help
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/hilow.asp?print=true
http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/c5/s4.html

good luck

My suggestion would be to take a look at Game Maker or a similar product. This sort of software will allow you to create your game relatively quickly and with very little programming knowledge (a scripting language is included, but a lot of the work can be done with a visual editor), which sounds like it might be what you're after.

If you're up for something a bit more challenging or feel that Game Maker or similar products might not be suitable then you'll need to learn a programming language, which will take significantly longer but ultimately gives you more flexibility in the final product. If you want to learn a programming language my recommendations would be either Kid's Programming Language (because it's simple and more than capable of your idea, not because I neccesarily think you're a kid) or Python.

You could also look at implementing your idea in Flash, which is an excellent tool that should easily meet your needs, but I left that till last because it's quite expensive.

Do check out Game Maker; if I understand what you want to do correctly it's quite capable and will be by far the simplest option.

Hope that helps. [smile]

thankyou very much!
game maker sounds like exactly what i'm after - i'll give that a try then move on the more complicated things if i can't get the results i want.

I recommend the following steps:

1. If you want to continue game programming in the long run, then you probably want to learn a programming language--not super-in-depth, but just the basics. Python is probably the best for what you're doing.

2. Make the game (or at least the "meat" of it--enough to play a round of this game) in text mode (unless you already know some GUI or graphical schtuff).

3. From there, it's pretty easy to add graphics. You will have to either:
a. add graphical schtuff to your existing program, or
b. insert algorithms that are in your existing program into a new framework designed around the GUI.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement