• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bigfatbunny

i want to make a 'very simple' game

This topic is 4258 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

but I have no idea how to go about it .. i can make it with pieces of card and reams and reams of paper, but i want to make it digital as it will be cleaner, faster and more efficient. basically there are teams of 8 - each team plays each other team in a league - each game has 8 rounds, the 8 contestants of each team are shuffled and drawn to compete in individual 'bouts' randomly - each 'bout' consists of 6 rounds of 2 'halves', so 3 rounds, then another 3 rounds - when the 'bouts' are played out in card format, individual cards represent each contestant - the cards are thrown and will land face up or down - if one is face up and one is face down, the face up card 'scores', so each 'bout' has the potential of being from 6-0 to 0-6, and each overall game can score form 8-0 to 0-8. and that's the basic structure i want to somehow write into a programme - i also want to add graphics, just simple drawn images or photos for each contestant - also i would like to expand the league system over 'seasons', and allow transferring of contestants from one team to another (kind of like championship manager the football sim) i hope this makes some kind of sense, and if it does please could someone point me in the direction of any resources which might exist that i could use to make this into a computer programme thankyou very much for reading!

Advertisement
maybe these will be of some help
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/hilow.asp?print=true
http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/c5/s4.html

good luck

My suggestion would be to take a look at Game Maker or a similar product. This sort of software will allow you to create your game relatively quickly and with very little programming knowledge (a scripting language is included, but a lot of the work can be done with a visual editor), which sounds like it might be what you're after.

If you're up for something a bit more challenging or feel that Game Maker or similar products might not be suitable then you'll need to learn a programming language, which will take significantly longer but ultimately gives you more flexibility in the final product. If you want to learn a programming language my recommendations would be either Kid's Programming Language (because it's simple and more than capable of your idea, not because I neccesarily think you're a kid) or Python.

You could also look at implementing your idea in Flash, which is an excellent tool that should easily meet your needs, but I left that till last because it's quite expensive.

Do check out Game Maker; if I understand what you want to do correctly it's quite capable and will be by far the simplest option.

Hope that helps. [smile]

thankyou very much!
game maker sounds like exactly what i'm after - i'll give that a try then move on the more complicated things if i can't get the results i want.

I recommend the following steps:

1. If you want to continue game programming in the long run, then you probably want to learn a programming language--not super-in-depth, but just the basics. Python is probably the best for what you're doing.

2. Make the game (or at least the "meat" of it--enough to play a round of this game) in text mode (unless you already know some GUI or graphical schtuff).

3. From there, it's pretty easy to add graphics. You will have to either:
a. add graphical schtuff to your existing program, or
b. insert algorithms that are in your existing program into a new framework designed around the GUI.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!