• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

which python GUI toolkit?

This topic is 3990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I most likely would like to drag and drop and I need table widgets. And it should be installed by default on common Linux-Distros. And a good layout system, like the one in QT would be very nice. I had a look at wxPython, it seems pretty nice, but the problem is, that it is not installed by default. tkinter is the standard-toolkit, as far as i know, so is this installed by default on common Distros like SuSe, Deb, RH, FC ? And how powerfull or powerless is it in comparison to QT or wxWidgets. thanks in advance

Advertisement
Question 1. Do you care ONLY about certain standard linux distros, or do you care about other OSes too, like the BSDs, Mac OS X, Windows, BeOS, whatever?

The reason I ask is that some libraries are decent for "X Windows" systems, aka they are good at being cross-platform on the various unix-like OSes, but not decent at non-X-Windows systems. I personally think of Tcl/Tk as being in this category, even though it does work everywhere it just doesn't look "native".

I don't know what is installed by various distros, since the last canned distros I used were Mandrake 9 and SUSE 8, and you have many choices in your packages to install in those ... but I know that QT was an option, in fact any system that has KDE has QT (since KDE is built on QT). Likewise any system with Gnome will have GTK+. So I think those two are close-enough to standard if you want any truely current feeling graphical interface.

But if your interface is not the significant part of your app, Tcl/Tk is probably a good choice.

If good behavior on other OSes is your most important criteria, then wxWidgets is probably the best choice today.

Just my 2 cents, go with wxPython. The table widget is nice and supports powerful features. I haven't used tkinter much, actually I dropped in favor of wxPython because of 2 things.
1. Tkinter has a limited set of widgets, at least at the time I was using it (and that was a while back). wxPython has a huge collection of widgets.
2. Although tkinter is very easy to learn, you end up writing horribly complex code in the end. While that is not to say that wxWidgets is perfect, but I found it easier to work with.

In support of tkinter, it had better documentation. wxPython is lacking in documentation side. Since I am a C++ guy, I could pick up just by looking at wxWidget C++ docs.

I have used Qt strictly under C++ and was never a fan of Qt's signal-slot moc compiler thing. Never used Qt bindings with python.

Quote:

And it should be installed by default on common Linux-Distros.

Can't you distribute the wxPython shared library with your software/program?

The problems is in userspace one cannot install wxPython. (At least I don't want to force them to download and configure,make,make install wxPython with his own hands.)
So it is no option.
And I cannot use QT because of licensing issues.

I mostly care about Unixes and Linuxes like Suse, RH, maybe HPUX, and what may be installed on High Performance Computers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement