Books - Which one?

Started by
2 comments, last by stenny 17 years ago
Hello there! I was thinking of buying a book about the game-audio industry. But which one to buy? I had a look on Aaron Mark's Complete Guide to Game Audio, the Fat Man on Game Audio on several more, but I'm not sure which one to buy. Also, books about the game industry are rather fast outdated. Can someone help? From the two I mentioned above, the former one sounded rather interesting (after reading an excerpt). -Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
Advertisement
I've read both books and enjoyed both of them. The Fatman's book provides some helpful historical info but isn't great as a "how to" book. It is very funny and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the guide book I had in mind. Marks' book, on the other hand, is extremely helpful. I highly recommend it. This book gives you tons of info on how to manage the business side and the artistic side.

Other good books related to audio are:

Mastering Audio by Bob Katz. This is a general book to help those who need to learn more about the mixing and producing process. This book is pretty indepth.

If you're wanting a book to help you master the software you're using then I'd recommend the Power! series. I have Reason 3 Power! and a Sonar book too. Those will help you pull as much out of your software (and hardware) as possible.

If I find any others, I'll let you know.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hey Stenny,

My website has a bunch of useful links:

http://www.gamesound.org/

Check out the books section.

I'd recommend the Marks as your first port of call - it's an eclectic mixture of self-help, insider info and instructional guide, but it's all good stuff (especially if you're totally new to the subject/industry). Then check out Alex Brandon's book - it's basically how he likes to organise his projects, some of it vital, some of it not so much. I've not read the Childs, so I won't pass judgement! Best stay away from the DriectX 9 book unless you're in to programming. Echoing Nathan's comments, I'd say the Fat Man's book is worth a read if you're a game audio devotee but it isn't required reading.

Cheers,

Kenny
Thanks :). Actually, I'm in to programming too, but I'm currently not in need of a DirectX book[grin].

Anyway, thanks guys. I'm gonna order Aaron Marks'.

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement