• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Wanna make music in real time? Don't have any idea how music works? Check this out.

This topic is 4046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I'm working on a program that allows anyone to rock out with their own solo in real time, regardless of their musical ability. This first demo is a bluesy sound. Remember it's extremely early (been working on it for less than an hour, and that includes recording the sounds) and make sure you tell me what you think.... basically "did you have fun?" Theres 16 different notes. In order from lowest to highest pitch you press these keys q, w, e, r a, s, d, f j, k, l, ; u, i, o, p It doesn't matter what order you press them in because I've designed it to sound good no matter what. Heres the link http://download.yousendit.com/4A73A112372E4021 Unzip the file and click on the .exe and let me know what you think. Remember this is an extremely early build. Depending on what people think I might expand it for different scales and background music, and the ability to save and share your creations. Maybe even throw your own mp3 in the background to "solo" over.

Advertisement
Pause doesn't work straight away. The Stop button closes the application. Both of these are incorrect, unexpected actions.

Your app plays a pre-recorded mp3 file. The recorded notes that are supposed to play when you hit the keys sound nothing similar. Not a good demo of the concept.

Pressing any of the buttons you mention does nothing.

Your recordings are not really what could be called smooth or clean.

Quote:
Remember this is an extremely early build.

I'd say more "single cellular" that early.

On a side node, don't assume that everybody has your keyboard layout. For example, on my keyboard ; is a combination of shift and ,

Even the English letters are swapped on some keyboards, but it's less common than moving the punctuation.

Instead of jkl; and uiop you could do hjkl and yuio and avoid punctuation. Good luck with the project :)

"Pause doesn't work straight away. The Stop button closes the application. Both of these are incorrect, unexpected actions."

Not my program, thats stuff my language (Turing) automatically adds to programs.

"Your app plays a pre-recorded mp3 file. The recorded notes that are supposed to play when you hit the keys sound nothing similar. Not a good demo of the concept."

What do you mean sound nothing similar? You do realize every key is a different note right? The whole point of the program is for each key to NOT sound similar...

"Pressing any of the buttons you mention does nothing."

You just said none of the keys sound similar. If they don't sound similar than they made a sound when you pressed them, and if they made a sound when you pressed them all of the buttons(keys) do exactly what I said they would.

"Your recordings are not really what could be called smooth or clean.
Quote:Remember this is an extremely early build.
I'd say more "single cellular" that early."

Never claimed the notes were smooth or clean, I said it was early as in judge the concept not the polish.

"2/19/2007 From: Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted - 3/22/2007 2:44:00 PM
On a side node, don't assume that everybody has your keyboard layout. For example, on my keyboard ; is a combination of shift and ,

Even the English letters are swapped on some keyboards, but it's less common than moving the punctuation.

Instead of jkl; and uiop you could do hjkl and yuio and avoid punctuation. Good luck with the project :)"

Thanks I'll make sure to change that in later builds.

Holy crap, Turing?! I guess it's neat to see people using that language even though I hated being forced to use it :P

I haven't taken a look at it (running Linux, don't have wine installed), but I may have something to help you. When you set up the window stuff, add "nobuttonbar". It's been a while since I've done this, but if you have something like
setscreen("graphics:800;600")

at the beginning, change it to
setscreen("graphics:800;600,nobuttonbar")

Hope that helps. But you may want to learn to use a sound API with another language, I don't have much experience with the latest version but the support for sound has always been pretty crappy. And hey, it's Turing :P

Quote:
Original post by JavaMava
Not my program, thats stuff my language (Turing) automatically adds to programs.

Wow, is that ever the wrong answer. The action is annoying and wrong, don't blame your tools for that. Thats a problem with your application, because users shouldn't be made to care and "sympathise" with you over what tools you use. If your tools are wrong, change them.

Quote:
What do you mean sound nothing similar? You do realize every key is a different note right? The whole point of the program is for each key to NOT sound similar...

I do realise that. It sounds like they were recorded using two different types of guitar. That doesn't work well as a demo for your application, since what (I would presume) is your "bluesy" demo suggests it wasn't even created with your application.

Quote:
You just said none of the keys sound similar. If they don't sound similar than they made a sound when you pressed them, and if they made a sound when you pressed them all of the buttons(keys) do exactly what I said they would.

I listened to the WAVs through a Media player. Pressing the keys on the keyboard did nothing.

Quote:
Wow, is that ever the wrong answer. The action is annoying and wrong, don't blame your tools for that. Thats a problem with your application, because users shouldn't be made to care and "sympathise" with you over what tools you use. If your tools are wrong, change them.

It's a demo. I clearly explained how it worked and what it's purpose is. If your going to go around and try to break a program this early in development just for the sake of it I can't take any of your criticism seriously.

Quote:
I do realise that. It sounds like they were recorded using two different types of guitar. That doesn't work well as a demo for your application, since what (I would presume) is your "bluesy" demo suggests it wasn't even created with your application.

I could have used tin cans banging together at the right frequency for the sound files and this demo still would have been a success. Again it's a matter of nit picking over polish on a program never stated to be polished. And what the hell are you trying to say with
Quote:
since what (I would presume) is your "bluesy" demo suggests it wasn't even created with your application.
Of course The notes weren't created with my program. That was never the intention. Do you have any idea what this program is even for?

Quote:

I listened to the WAVs through a Media player. Pressing the keys on the keyboard did nothing.

It worked for everyone else on every other message board I posted this program on... let me guess you didn't unzip the file? You just opened the zip file and tried to run it from there. If you can't follow simple instructions then again your criticism is meaningless which
Quote:
I can't take any of your criticism seriously.
has already been defined.
________________________________________________-

Quote:

Hope that helps. But you may want to learn to use a sound API with another language, I don't have much experience with the latest version but the support for sound has always been pretty crappy. And hey, it's Turing :P

Yep thanks that helped. I'm starting to break into C++ but it's going to take a while at that before I get to the stage I'm at with Turing. This was mostly a quick demo to see if this idea was simple and enjoyable for those who don't know how to play music.

Aidan is being pretty harsh (or a Troll); criticising what I assume is the default window layout in your language, when presented with a conceptual build designed to demonstrate an idea...

It's an interesting app, I had fun for a few minutes making "music" ;)

i dunno about "It doesn't matter what order you press them in because I've designed it to sound good no matter what" though... a,o,d,p,a,o,d,p,ppp,q,k,qqkqkppod sounds pretty silly ;P

Quote:
Aidan is being pretty harsh (or a Troll); criticising what I assume is the default window layout in your language, when presented with a conceptual build designed to demonstrate an idea...

It's an interesting app, I had fun for a few minutes making "music" ;)

i dunno about "It doesn't matter what order you press them in because I've designed it to sound good no matter what" though... a,o,d,p,a,o,d,p,ppp,q,k,qqkqkppod sounds pretty silly ;P

True. I should rephrase it a bit to "no matter what you hit randomly it will sound better than if you hit a random sequence of notes on any other instrument, but maybe not godly..." I don't know.

Quote:
Pretty neat!

(I know its early, but sometimes I wished it would switch sounds faster)

Ya that's annoying me as well. I initially had a problem where any note you pressed would buzz. That was caused from the user not lifting their finger off the key quick enough so every loop my code would replay the note from the beginning (skipping the rest of the note) until the key was let go. I fixed this by ignoring input after a key press until the key was let go. I could further develop it to only ignore a key-press if the key pressed is the same as the last key pressed, thus speeding up how quickly you an hit notes.

I'm going to talk to my friend about Direct Sound (He's playing around with that right now) and maybe this project will be moved into c++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement