• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Arnack

Programming as a career.

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would simply like to know how much a game programmer could make, and how much a game directer would make for something such as World of Warcraft, or Guildwars, and I was also wondering if it was a wise choice. Thanks, Arnack

Advertisement
[google] salary calculator

I'm not sure where game programmers are at currently but salaries depend on the position/area you're in. I'm in San Antonio, Tx and could expect anywhere from $60k to $90k for web development. There are plenty of salary calculators out there that could give you a more precise answer for what you're looking for.

EDIT:
Also, assuming you're talking about game programming, I'd suggest getting a computer science degree or at least some college under your belt. If you don't get into game development, you could always fall back on a traditional programming career. Here's an article I read today on what companies expect from prospective programmers/artists that might give you an idea.

Good luck!

i think it varies so much that it's hard to tell really.

i hear £18k as an entry rate for some companies over here, though so much of it depends on experience, job you're applying for, field of expertiese (i hear physics and tools programmers are quite highly prized today)...

Winegums is about right (ish) for the UK

It's going to vary massively where you are though, and since you are in the States it would be higher.

Example of the difference, I just left the UK a few months ago on £24,000 (pounds)

Now the same position (at the US head office of the SAME company), which I'm applying for right now [wink] (long story..)
That job would be over $70,000 (dollars)

BIG difference !!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!