• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Tracing / Watching a variable in VS .Net

This topic is 3958 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone :) I would just like to ask how would i go about tracing / watching a variable in VS .Net. In case it is called something else, what i am talking about it setting a breakpoint in my program, and then being able to see what, for example, the value of x is at the moment :) Thank you ^^

Advertisement
In the Debug menu, you can open the Watch, Local, This, and Autos windows, which display variables. you can also put the mouse over a variable to get its value. The values don't update until the program hits a breakpoint. It only works if there is debug info (which is normally the case in a Debug configuration).

Simply hover your mouse over any active varible to see it's contents. To monitor it easier, just right click on it, while the program is at a breakpoint, and hit "watch".

Now, if you want to break each time the variable (or the memory pointing to this variable) is read and/or write, you can set a data breakpoint as well (unfortuately, it seems that VC++ 2005 EE doesn't support this feature. however, you can still get the same features using this small utility library).

Thank you all very much :) This is exactly what i was looking for.
The irony is, i was looking at the right place, just not at the right window :)

And i am not using EE, thanks a lot for the tip Emmanuel, this will come in very useful.

Thanks again ^^

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement