• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Need up-to-date c# opengl class

This topic is 3953 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I need an up-to-date C# OpenGL class for my recent project. Up-to-date means support for recent OpenGL versions with features like EXT_FRAMEBUFFER. Nehe's basecode and others I found on the net are years behind and the only up-to-date thing I found was the Tao-Framework - but it is too big for my purposes (or are the other parts - ODE, OpenAL-support - optional and do not have to be included in my project(s)?). Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by La_Boda
Hi,

I need an up-to-date C# OpenGL class for my recent project. Up-to-date means support for recent OpenGL versions with features like EXT_FRAMEBUFFER. Nehe's basecode and others I found on the net are years behind and the only up-to-date thing I found was the Tao-Framework - but it is too big for my purposes (or are the other parts - ODE, OpenAL-support - optional and do not have to be included in my project(s)?).

Thanks in advance

Tao's probably the best you'll find. You don't have to do use anything in it you don't want to AFAIK.

Yeah; I can't imagine anyone trying to use all of Tao.

That said, you'll probably need something to handle windowing so you can start using OpenGL. You can use Tao.SDL or Tao.FreeGLUT for that.

Plus, if you don't use any Windows-specific libraries, your program will run on Linux without recompiling. You just need to make a DllMap file.

You don't have to reference all of Tao - you can just use the part that you want (in this case, Tao.OpenGL). As for windowing, you just use the bindings for win32 functions and pass a few IntPtr's around to get your form to render with OpenGL.

From my personal experience, Tao is awesome. The current version is 2.0RC1, which IMHO is vastly improved over 1.3, but there are a few minor glitches/caveats. You may want to take a look at the forum (which is down at the moment...) to determine if you'll run into problems. If you're using shaders, I seem to remember something about having to use ARB functions right now...

For anything ever related to 3D graphics (OpenGL and/or DirectX), its Ogre all the way. Check out Ogre3d.org.

It is however a C++ library, but there are at least two wrappers for the managed .Net environment. I dont know the current state of them, but I suggest starting by looking at MOgre: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/MOGRE

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement