• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
i2obi

BECOMING A GAME DESIGNER!??

This topic is 4229 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, im 16, 11th grade highshcool. I know alot about video games and i think this would be a awsome career path for me because of the creative and hands on making video games people love and play.. I have alot of imagination, ok all thats GREAT, but now education.. Im thinking about going to fullsail in florida (Game programing/design) program there, i hear its really good.. OR Go to a 4 year college and get a major in something that intrest me.. THEN go to fullsail. What would be better? Would i waste vital time going to a 4 year schools while the fresh game people are coming from fullsail? Any adivce one what path to follow, or if you have a diffrent one would be great.. AND: What could i be doing right now, to help me in my career in the game industry.. I tried programing books but i get lost fast, ty P.S ( I have no programing experince, or any of the technical side of gaming.. just drawing/stories, etc...))

Advertisement
Although I've never looked deeply into it, people tend to say that starting people starting game design should get experience. For example, try making mods for your favorite games.

You could also try and hook up with a team in the help wanted forum to get some experience with volunteer projects. I've got a project running right now which you might be interested in. If so you can just email me, prgmer101@gmail.com, for more info.

This just seems like common sense to me, but I wouldn't go to a 4 year school if you major in History or Philosophy. If game making is your thing, and you like it, I would definitely go to school for it, or something related.

I really have no clue, but based on a guess, going for a 4 year in Computer Science, Physics, or Math will give you a good background that if you ever wanted to start programming, you could.

Anyway, use the search. You will find endless information :)

Quote:
Original post by i2obi
Would i waste vital time going to a 4 year schools while the fresh game people are coming from fullsail?

The fresh game people aren't coming from Full Sail. Don't believe the school's brochure. Sure, some Full Sail grads are getting jobs in the game industry, but by no means the majority.

Quote:
Original post by JBS103
This just seems like common sense to me, but I wouldn't go to a 4 year school if you major in History or Philosophy. If game making is your thing, and you like it, I would definitely go to school for it, or something related.

Games are related to history, philosophy, psychology, ergonomics, literature, art and technology, among other disciplines.

Quote:
I really have no clue, but based on a guess, going for a 4 year in Computer Science, Physics, or Math will give you a good background that if you ever wanted to start programming, you could.

Game design isn't programming, though, so those are sub-optimal college options.

Quote:
Original post by i2obi
I know alot about video games...

You know a lot less than you think, but that doesn't really matter. What is important is that you are interested in knowing what the elements of a game are, how they work, and how they interact to affect the structure and quality of the game.
Quote:
Original post by i2obi
Im thinking about going to fullsail in florida (Game programing/design) program there, i hear its really good..
OR
Go to a 4 year college and get a major in something that intrest me.. THEN go to fullsail.
What would be better?

Full Sail after college would probably be better.
Quote:
Original post by i2obi
Would i waste vital time going to a 4 year schools while the fresh game people are coming from fullsail?

What's your hurry? It's not like the video game industry is going away in 4 years.

I also am 16 years old(11th grade) and thinking about college. I also am interested in getting into the game/movie animation industry. I define tally am going to go to the normal 4 year college, and then we'll see where I go from there. I think, and from the little I've heard, that it is important to have a general knowledge of programming even in that industry.

Currently I am just learning on my own, making programs(mainly screensavers so far, but I recently started working on a cool game idea)and sticking them on my website. I think up an idea, and then I have to learn how to implement it. If I find I really can't, then I leave it alone for a while, learn something a little easier. But I usually come back to the cooler ideas I couldn't do before, and it's great to find I can do them after learning some more. I figure by the time two years go by, I'll have a lot of stuff to show what I can do, and then college will help me expand even more.

The main thing with me though is that I also swim and I just can't imagine not swimming in college. While I know academics come first, swimming is definatally big, and a good computer science school with good swimming is harder to find.

Programmer101: Would it be alright if I emailed you for more info too?

Quote:
Original post by JBS103
What do you think game designers study?

Theres really no direct path into being a game designer. Mostly that is either promoting programmers or artists, or hiring game designers with much experience.

Forget about full sail, you will most likely regret getting an education that is so narrow. Getting a BS in CS or the like is a MUCH better option. In 10 years, you might not want to be in games at all, and then that game design degree won't be looking so hot. My point is, give your future self options.

I agree with the majority here!

Start with a open and wide eduction to serve as a base, then specialize yourself in the desired direction. This is globally accepted, even here in the Netherlands where we still wear wooden-shoes, harvest tulps and make cheese all day long (nah just kiddin', we don't harvest tulps anymore...).

Point is you are still incredibly young and not bound to anything yet.
The average game-designer at a company is about 40 years old and that is not by coïncidence...

Think about it and consult your teachers about your ideas.

Regards,

Xeile

Hi,

I noticed you are in Maryland, and wondered if you have taken a look at the University Of Maryland.

They do Game Programming courses, which might suit you, unless you just want to get to Florida for the sun [wink]

It's a personal choice I guess, but whats more important?
Finding what your looking for (right on your door step) or is that the other place is a better University and has bikini-clad Florida girls everywhere ...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!