MMORPG Game idea I've wanted to share ^_^

Started by
14 comments, last by Arnack 17 years, 1 month ago
Do you have your heart set on swords and shields? Have you considered going with something that uses rifles (early 1900 era weapons) as the main weapons, with limited magic and older style weapons. Why does magic exlude advanced tech?

Just something think about.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Arnack
Thankyou. And yes, I was thinking something like Oblivion. And I would like to stream it, loading screens get boring, especially in a large world like I am making.
I was also thinking with the combat system being a bit basic, but I need to make it unique. It would be the regular WoW/GW/And most of the Combat Systems today, where you hit, then enemy, you hit, then enemy. Not sure how I can make that unique though.

Almost all MMO's use a dice kinda system, where the centerfold for players lies on getting the 'big' numbers... "Woehoe my Execute crits for 5.4k, damn I'm good!".

Think about by showing these numbers or not in your game, if you are going to copy dice-system. If you can think about a 'better' more complex system the current dice-system, then you should focus your idea on that.

I think if you are working alone of your idea, you should focus it all on one part (like what you are doing now, PvP). Design idea's aren't things that you spit out in one weekend, unfortunatly.

Anyway good luck!

Regards,

Xeile
Thanks, Xeile.
I do have a couple other people working with me, but for the dice system, I am going to abandon that.
That is why I am going to focus on skills a little bit more. The skills will do most of the damage, along with the weapon. Let me give an example: (Elf Duelist)

My weapon would be something like this:

Steel Rapier
11-18 damage (the damage would be random)
+5 defense against melee weapons

18 damage is not that much, so the weapon itself would not be doing A LOT of damage, what would be doing most of the damage is the skill:

Quickened Parry
10 mana
Next melee attack against you is block and foe takes 35 damage.

That is how more of the combat system will work.

you might want to start you game design at a lower level
just like all the %'s ultimately stats are meaningless if you haven't worked out the basic of your game mechanics, you should start by building a simple but complete rule set that governs your game and figure out stats and skill after
Quote:Why does magic exlude advanced tech?

Because magic is holy and science is blasphemy :-P
http://blog.protonovus.com/
Thankyou, and I understand where you are coming from. I know the % are not needed now, I just used them to show the strength and weakness of the races/classes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement