• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

complete n00b question

This topic is 3956 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok how to start...I guess I am a would be dev programmer just starting out, I have no idea where to go from the fact that I have a solid game plot and story line. When I was a bit younger I taughtmyself tml htm xml and a host of other web development languages out of a book doing it the right way... through notepad I know almost nothing about c other than I understand the concept of the engine functions and scriping language and that they alkl go together to create the basis of a game. Ive been doing a bit of web research and havnt yielded any amazing results, what language do I need to learn? where do I start? usefull info of any sort would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
ok I read Game Programming Beginners Guide by Dave Astle

- Who reccomended C/C++ as a beginers language I have a book already and can easily sit down and discliplin myself to learn this

What Language Do I Use? by John Hattan

- This only displayed the different languages that can be used shown below:

C
C++
C or C++
Assembly
Pascal
Visual Basic
Java
Authoring Tools
Conclusion

So my question is this: what does the general public use most? what are the limitations of the C language and is there somthing better out there than that? also what should I look for as far as complilers go?

Quote:
Original post by Azendai
ok I read Game Programming Beginners Guide by Dave Astle

- Who reccomended C/C++ as a beginers language I have a book already and can easily sit down and discliplin myself to learn this

What Language Do I Use? by John Hattan

- This only displayed the different languages that can be used shown below:

C
C++
C or C++
Assembly
Pascal
Visual Basic
Java
Authoring Tools
Conclusion

So my question is this: what does the general public use most? what are the limitations of the C language and is there somthing better out there than that? also what should I look for as far as complilers go?

some of the most popoular languages today for professional and hobby game developers are.
(in no particular order)
C
C++
Java
C#.Net
VB.Net
Flash/Actionscript (web games) (it is an Authoring tool really)
Python
There are a whole bunch of others aswell

personally i would recomend that you stay away from C as C++ is (imo) much easier to work with without sacrificing any functionality.

C#.Net and Java are similar to C++ in syntax but work a bit differently,
Both are easier to work with than C++ (They simplify memory management among other things), Java is one of the most commonly used languages for cellphone games and is also extremely portable. (a program written in Java on windows will most likely run flawlessly on Mac, Linux, Solaris and a few other systems aswell)

C#.Net is functionally pretty much equal to java except it doesn't have as strong platform support (yet atleast) (it is a new language afterall), It is possible to make hobby games for the xbox360 by using C# and XNA(a game framework)

VB.Net is pretty much the same as C#.Net (Except the language used is Visual Basic instead of C#)

Personally i would recomend the following:

Start with C# Java, Python or possibly C++ (the only advantage C++ gives a beginner is the vast amount of resources and information avaliable for it).

avoid C (there is no good reason imo to use it for game development these days).

allright thats perfect I have C++ from the ground up by Herbert Schildt which is a little bit of an older manual copywrited 1994 so im not sure if I should get somthing a little more updated figure ill stop and barnes n noble tomarrow after work. that being the case do you have one that you would recomend?

also thanks for your help on this ive been toiling around in search directorys for answers for a few days now and finding mostly nothing helpfull or only vague answers until now so tyvm

I recommend Java as a first Language. Reasons:
1) It is Object Oriented, which is important to learn (it's popular in industry, and not without reason).
2)It is high level, which makes many things easier, especially when starting out.
3)It is powerful, so you aren't limiting what you can do by sticking to the language
4)It is popular, so there are a lot of resources and help available for it.

Starting programming is one of the most immediatly gratifying things ever. I envy your position.

Go ahead and dive right into c++. It will be both challenging and rewarding to a high degree.

Quote:
Original post by Azendai
that being the case do you have one that you would recomend?

I would strongly reccommend Accelerated C++

Hope that helps.

hey everyone just got back from barns $ nobles with a book, back when i taught myself html and a number of other web coding languages I started with html for dummies which was the biggest waste of money ever and immediatly baught sams html in 24 hours, turned out to be a good book, so when i was down there i ended up with sams C++ in 24 hours wwe will see how good his is, hopefully it delves into the more acclerated stuff or ill be making another trip down there before they day is over.....in any event I have to thank everyone who has helped me so far, this is a great community and I plan on sticking around to learn more and hopefully at some point be able to pass on some of my own knowledge at some point. Also I really have to say it is nice to for once find a place where it is considered unacceptable to flame n00bs for the sheer reason of lack of knowledge or misguided previous advice so againt hanks for that as well

And welcome to the forums! I hope have a nice time here, and learn a lot (I did)!

Oh, and to nót make this post completely useless, I'd also recommend C++ For Dummies. I know it sounds rather bad, especially after you say HTML for Dummies sucked, but the former one dóes go into programming, and that is all the stuff you need to know about C++ to get started right away, with graphics[smile]

-Stenny

Quote:
Original post by Azendai
allright thats perfect I have C++ from the ground up by Herbert Schildt which is a little bit of an older manual copywrited 1994 so im not sure if I should get somthing a little more updated figure ill stop and barnes n noble tomarrow after work. that being the case do you have one that you would recomend?

also thanks for your help on this ive been toiling around in search directorys for answers for a few days now and finding mostly nothing helpfull or only vague answers until now so tyvm

Hmm if I were you I'd do a search for "Bullschildt" on google to find out what other people think of Herbert Schildt's writing style.

Quote:
Original post by Paradigm Shifter
Quote:
Original post by Azendai

Hmm if I were you I'd do a search for "Bullschildt" on google to find out what other people think of Herbert Schildt's factual correctness.

Fixed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement