• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Koobazaur

A few questions about DirectAudio

This topic is 4083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been wanting to implement some sound into my 3D world and have been following these tutorials. However, I have a few questions about the Direct Audio Interface. Firsly, I imagine my desing as a general sound databank (sound segments), and the in-game sound objects merely having an Audio Path and playing a given segment from the main list through their audio paths. This design seems a bit limited but I don't know how to overcome it. 1. It seems like the Performance's PlayEx / StopEx functions are very limited; I can't even choose to play a segment from any random point, it always starts from beginning. 2. When I use a 3D buffer for 3D sound and leave the audible range, is the sound still being processed? If so, would having it running in the background be an issue or should I always disable a sound that is inaudible? 3. I was thinking about manually disabling sounds I am out of range of (no point in them playing), but (as previously mentioned) if I do that, the sound will always replay from start instead of where it stopped which would create some really annyoing effects if they player kept entering/leaving the sound boundary repeatedly. Any way to get over this? 4. It seems like I cannot even store duplicates of the same segment; I tried loading a segment of the same file and it would fail when I called Performance->Download(). This means that if I want the same sound to be playing twice at the same time, I lose a degree of control (for instance, I cannot stop just one of them, both of them would die if I called Performance->StopEX). What am I missing here? [Edited by - Koobazaur on March 23, 2007 4:26:50 AM]

Advertisement
It sounds like you're using the wrong API. DirectMusic is a high-level interface for playing various formats of sound file (think media players). DirectSound is far better-suited to real-time 3D audio. I'm sure you'll find the interfaces far more appropriate to your needs [smile].

Admiral

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!