3D Game Engines for java

Started by
4 comments, last by OrangyTang 17 years ago
Hello, I am using java and I want to know if there are any 3d game engines for java, apart from the Java3D, or any other program with an exporter to java. Thanks!
Advertisement
Have a look at the JMonkey engine here.

Cheers,
Tim
GameDeveloperTools.comA comprehensive library of game development resources.
I can recommend jirr, it's irrlicht for java and worked great for a small project I did. It's just a 3d graphics engine, but they also have a sound engine in there.
I've looked at all three as 3D Graphics Engines - Java3D, jME and jirr/Irrlicht.
I must admit after doing so, I've got more questions than answers.

Java3D: is this Scene Engine API getting continued investment from Sun, what with their business problems? Are there robust loaders available to import
modeler file formats from Binder, Maya and others? Is the Java3D renderer's
performance acceptable for gaming, given that gaming is not the primary focus
of the API?

jME: iv'e heard good things about pace of improvement here, the fact that it is
game focused and the renderer's performance. I've found the documentation to be
a bit confusing inspite of the rave's I've heard about it. The primary loader
available appears to be from Binder files. It's based on LWJGL which does not
work with Swing.

jirr/Irrlicht: the Irrlicht engine gets good comments from others. Appears to be robust, but it's hard to tell if the Java binding effort (jirr) is going
anywhere...

If anyone has more insight into these questions, I'd love to hear about it.

Well, i searched for both jirr and jME. I found a bit confusing the jirr and it is best if it is used for C++. As far as jME is concerned, yes the documentation needs some improvement but there are a lot of code examples. Also it is capable of importing various file formats with little job done. Still the issue remains if there are any 3d game engines for Java. If i had to choose though from the these 3 (Java3d, jME, jirr) i would vote for jME.
Theres also Xith3D which started as an open-source implementation of Java3d. But from what I've seen it's stagnating somewhat.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement