• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Winegums

Collision Timings

This topic is 4218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, so I'm writing a manager to regulate the checking and responding to collisions that occur in my application. The app will probibally feature quite an intensive set of collisions (basically it's a pile of spheres bouncing around inside a box, so theres a lot of colliding). I've reached a point where I'm not sure how to impliment the collision checking. I mean I have the algorithms to check of objects collide, but now i'm stuck on the 'when' element. If i have two collisions happening in the same frame, how do i know which one happens first? I think someone touched on this last time I asked a simmilar question, but wanted to start a new thread to tackle this issue specifically. I think i can poll object positions at the start of the frame and then again at the end. If they aren't colliding at the start but are at the end, obviously i have to respond this frame, but how to do two or more simultaneous collisions? I think (god i start a lot of sentences with that word...) it's something to do with finding the scale between the distance to the collision and distance moved, but i could be talking rubbish.

Advertisement
There are several ways. THe simple way, just test objects one by one. Consider other objects static, and trace the object through. When colliding, move the collider to the time of collision, apply the response (that will change the colliding and collider object's velocity), and trace again with the remaining portion of the time / distance, then move to the next object. So in the end, there will be no 'simultaneous' collisions to worry about :)

The complicated way, to sort collisions by time, move objects to first time, compute response, then do a test again. This is actually very slow if you are not careful (there are shortucts you can use, but it's still a pain to implement, and requires lots of work, like clustering objects into collidable groups, and so on).

The first way is way way simpler, and is the way Quake 3 and the likes do. Then you don't have to worry about timing. Obviosuly, it's not super accurate, but in the context of a game, with relatively slow moving objects, it should be fine. Depends what you need really. The first one, you can sort the objects but velocity, the faster ones will probably need to be tested first.

BTW, tracing means a swept test. Swept box, swept sphere, swept convex hull. That would probably be the most accurate way.

Quote:
Original post by oliii
There are several ways. THe simple way, just test objects one by one. Consider other objects static, and trace the object through. When colliding, move the collider to the time of collision, apply the response (that will change the colliding and collider object's velocity), and trace again with the remaining portion of the time / distance, then move to the next object. So in the end, there will be no 'simultaneous' collisions to worry about :)

sorry for not replying, been swamped with tests and courseowrks and other horrible stuff..

thank you for the advice, but my problem has a lot of spheres moving around in a closed enviroment, so simultaneous collisions are very possible. the current way i'm trying to do it is..

//Itterate through the list of objects
//If it's a static object, don't bother
//Do a collision check against the rest of the lists objects from that point on
//If they collide
//add to a list of collisions
//Move onto the next object

//Itterate through the list of collisions
//If any object collides with 2 or more other objects
//Find which collision would occur first and only do that
//If two happen at once
//do a simultaneous collision

the way i see simultaneous collisions is that the object that collides with two other objects will be refleced in a plane defined by the two objects it's colliding with.

Ok here it is..."Glitchy Collision Demo V1.0"!!

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/125032/Physics-exe.html

Disclaimer: May cause PC to combust, though I've tried my utmost to make it not a horribe memory hemmoraging beast...

I'm concerned about the sphere collisions glitching and 'orbiting' the collision point. Anyone know what could cause that? At a guess I'd have said that its the spheres not moving far enough each frame so they 'bounce' around the point of collision.

Also it doesn't "handle" 3 object collisions yet, that will be implimented shortly.

Also I'm aware sometimes spheres bounce outside the box and into the great unknonwn.

Sort object by linear sorting algorithm (if you would use nonlinear sorting algorithm it must be stable. IIRC all linear sorting algorithms are stable.)
Colliding objects can't be far away on resulting array, thus you'd have easier work. If you need something more sort it by another axis. (for this you would need that stable sort.)

If this is still not enough, enclose them into some hiearchics objects. (for example into an octree)

For simultaneous collisions: Sum all vector of collisions (that affects the object) before you'd apply them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!