GDNet system

Started by
69 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 17 years ago
Gamedev pays money for Windows and ASP, but the result is a Gamedev that -displays an error page when trying to post or open something on a regular basis -is infected with virii I would find it believable if the virus crap was removed soon. But appearantly it's still got it now (as seen in the thread about it). So appearantly this virus thing is really a big unavoidable problem - so has Windows now become a big unmaintainable problem, or is this stuff going to be fixed? I wouldn't like to see money I gave for GDNet membership, being used on more of this virus crap. Is it possible to get a decent system that doesn't show these weaknesses? Is it maybe possible that GDNet could look for the option of *nix, Apache and PHP? It could be more secure. Well ok, anything could be more secure than what I see now. But at least it could be cheaper and more independent.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Lode
Gamedev pays money for Windows and ASP, but the result is a Gamedev that
-displays an error page when trying to post or open something on a regular basis
-is infected with virii
Neither of these things are factors of the OS.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Quote:Original post by Lode
Gamedev pays money for Windows and ASP, but the result is a Gamedev that
-displays an error page when trying to post or open something on a regular basis
-is infected with virii
Neither of these things are factors of the OS.

But they still are a factor of the system Gamedev uses. There exist websites that are as large and don't seem to have these problems, so it must be possible to improve. Is there hope for improvement?
Of course there's hope for improvement. Switching OSes or throwing away the site code and writing it in PHP instead is not improvement, though.

I should note that many of those websites have a full time staff, and people with regular physical access to the servers.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I have given up hope on GameDev ever becoming a professional website. The frequent error pages and a dedicated forum search function missing for over 3 years are one thing. Having your site infected with spyware, not one time but over and over again, and knowingly distributing rootkits to your visitors (Internet Gamebox ads) is unforgivable though.
*rolls eyes*

You know, you can always donate money to the site so that they can get better hosting, pay for fixes and improvements to the site, etc. Just because GDNet is colo'd doesn't make them non-professional.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

I don't see how going from Windows, IIS, and ASP to *nix, Apache, and PHP will make things more professional or secure. To me it sounds like fanboism. It would be a waste of funds and resources to make such a switch rather than improve on what's available.
Best regards, Omid
Just be patient, Superpig is back from The States and ready to save the day [cool]

Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote:the option of *nix, Apache and PHP? It could be more secure.
It isn't.
Quote:unix exploit - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,210,000
windows exploit - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 22,900,000
Quote:apache exploit - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,250,000
iis exploit - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000
Quote:php exploit - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,360,000
asp exploit - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,370,000

Now, I'm not silly enough to claim that that means anything particularly conclusive, but they're working on a solution. Switching platforms isn't it, and if you actually put a bit of thought into it is a pretty bad idea, unless you particularly want a year or more of downtime.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote:the option of *nix, Apache and PHP? It could be more secure.
It isn't.
Quote:unix exploit - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,210,000
Quote:apache exploit - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,250,000
Quote:php exploit
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,360,000

They're working on a solution. Starting from scratch most certainly isn't it, unless you'd particularly like a year or more downtime.

Indeed. Also:
ASP exploit vs PHP exploit

IIS exploit vs Apache exploit

I'm not saying Windows systems are more secure, but there's certainly nothing to prove that *nix systems would be more secure.
Best regards, Omid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement