program starts from IDE runs faster??

Started by
4 comments, last by Pet123 17 years, 1 month ago
hi i just notice this today. im using visual studio 2005, its a DirectX program, the stats are here

// Starts inside IDE or starts anywhere outside IDE but with VS2005 still running :
fps = 2920

// Double click and close all VS2005 windows:
fps = 1270

i know actually the SPF is more important and not the FPS but still wonder why this happens, anybody knows why? thank you
Advertisement
Is this a Debug or Release build? I'm guessing that it's a Debug build and that this has something to do with how the debug info is handled when VS is running or not running.
If it indeed is a Debug build, then try with the Release build and see if the problem remains.
Best regards, Omid
Its release version. would anybody here like to try it 'at home' to see what happens? just a simple box drawing is okay, i'd like to know what happens on your computer, thanks :P
Well, I just tried it on some of my DirectX applications, and with VSync turned on, I get 60 FPS with Visual C++ open, and with it closed and running it by clicking the EXE I get 60 FPS also. Please note that this is using the Debug version of the program, and with VSync turned on. I was not able to try it under release, as I am really to lazy to update my linker under release right now. I'd rather continue working on my DX wrapper. hehe. I have never really noticed this...so I don't know what could be going on. Maybe someone who is technically into Visual C++ and DirectX could help here.

Chad.

Are you running your release build Fullscreen or Windowed? If Windowed, try the same tests Fullscreen. If already Fullscreen, then I'm not sure [smile]

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Its release build and windowed (640x480) with flag 'D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE' set.

1 / 2920 = 0.000342s
1 / 1270 = 0.0007874s

diff = 0.0004454s

okay, forget it, its too tiny difference, back to work everybody and thanks :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement