• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Valeranth

Making a 128-bit integer?

This topic is 4160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I know this is probably a noobish question, and probably is not possible do to the fact that processors are only 32/64 bit. But would it be possible to create a new integer that uses 128 bit, or even more if needed. Sorry if I make my self sound stupid. ^^;;

Advertisement
Use a bignum library or a language that directly supports bignum arithmetic:

Python 2.4.3 (#69, Mar 29 2006, 17:35:34) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
>>> 2 ** 128
340282366920938463463374607431768211456L

Quote:
Original post by Valeranth
Hi, I know this is probably a noobish question, and probably is not possible do to the fact that processors are only 32/64 bit. But would it be possible to create a new integer that uses 128 bit, or even more if needed.
Sorry if I make my self sound stupid. ^^;;

The MVS long long type working on my 32-bit processor proves you wrong :)

Other than that, this covers most of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bignum

Generally, you define a type that is a composite of available types.

Your 128 bit would be represented with 4 32 bit ints. Then it's just a matter of implementing operations on those types.

If you know the size in advance it's possible to have these operations implemented optimally with minimal overhead (still slower than build-in types).

Still having problems figuring out how to do this. I get how its done, but I do not know how to make it. You should know I'm fairly new to C++. A example, or a link to a example would be greatly appreciated; Or a link to anything describing more then just the logic behind it.

I once found this which was what I wanted, although it had a few bugs and things that needed optimising etc. I can send you my own updated version of this that also handles signed bigints etc and has other added or improved functionality, if you like.

With a quick look threw, that seems to be exactly what I need. If you would be willing to give em your version, I would be much obliged. My email isn't really that hard to figure out (Ill give you a hint:Gmail) but not sure if I am allowed to post it here, so I wont.
If you would like to share emails, or if you want to post it on something like rapid-share just pm me.
Val,

The Lead programmer from Chaos Studios was browsing around GameDev, and found this article. He took a look at it, and saw that it was similar to what he did. He once made a un-overflowing decimal variable, but he got too lazy to compleat it. This is what he has to say just taking a quick peak at what you wanted to do:

"It's not quite that hard. Before I made an un-overflowable decimal variable. Basically, you just need to check to see the status on the variable, if it's close to it's overflow number, you re-allocate 1 more long or double, and then start filling that next variable." - Marc

Quote:
Original post by iamtehpwn
The Lead programmer from Chaos Studios was browsing around GameDev, and found this article. He took a look at it, and saw that it was similar to what he did. He once made a un-overflowing decimal variable, but he got too lazy to compleat it. This is what he has to say just taking a quick peak at what you wanted to do:

"It's not quite that hard. Before I made an un-overflowable decimal variable. Basically, you just need to check to see the status on the variable, if it's close to it's overflow number, you re-allocate 1 more long or double, and then start filling that next variable." - Marc

Who is this lead programmer?
Also like Ive said, I know the logic behind it; I just don't know how to make it work. I remember back before 2000 I had a class with a 'Infinite' variable, that would basically do do what Marc said; It would start out as 1 byte, then more up and up the more you put in it. But sadly I have sense lost it.

This is actually more fitted to assembly than C++ or C. Not only in terms of performance but also in terms of clarity. Things like carry I guess.. I remember we implemented the same thing in our microprocessor session. Well now I don't have my book neither can I recreate what was done in the lecture completely, but I think it was important to note.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!