• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
felipedrl

Defining games minimum required configuration[SOLVED]

This topic is 4200 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, As soon as I finish my game I´d like to release it along a doc containing things like it´s minimum requirements, but I don´t know how to measure it. Is there any tool to do it? thanks in advance. [Edited by - felipedrl on March 24, 2007 5:05:06 PM]

Advertisement
Dirty little secret of the game industry: "minimum requirements" are almost always completely made up.

The best you can do is make some rough guesses. For instance, if you have a 3D game that uses pixel shaders, you can note the required shader model version. If you know that the game only runs on, say, Windows XP and Vista, you can get the minimum requirements of XP and bump them up a bit. In general, it's all done by guesswork and a little bit of common sense. There really isn't any (good) way to do it automatically.

Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
Dirty little secret of the game industry: "minimum requirements" are almost always completely made up.

The best you can do is make some rough guesses. For instance, if you have a 3D game that uses pixel shaders, you can note the required shader model version. If you know that the game only runs on, say, Windows XP and Vista, you can get the minimum requirements of XP and bump them up a bit. In general, it's all done by guesswork and a little bit of common sense. There really isn't any (good) way to do it automatically.

Is that really how it's done in the gaming world? I always thought they at LEAST installed and ran the game on said minimal req. box, noticed that it barely crawls, but is playable. Then again, realistically, I can imagine nobody has the time to do these things right, since they have to focus on getting the game right...

For the OP quesiton, I'd say send it to all your friends and see how it performs (you should do that anyway - last thing you want is to release something that's missing a DLL or whatever). If you use DirectX, make sure the version of it is also on the reqs.

Quote:
Original post by felipedrl
So if I´m using a engine I should take it´s minimum and bump it up. That´s pretty tricky.

Thanks.

How much ram do you use?
What version of DX or OpenGL do you use?

Windows XP

Version of OpenGL or DirectX (people don't know their opengl version usually, so you just list the corresponding DX version sometimes to make it easier.)

DirectX Compliant Sound Card

Choose your ram requirement based on what your program needs, than bump it up to closest number, 64,128,256,512,768,1024 etc...

Processor speed, you're on your own. [lol] Get some friends to test.

Resolution?

Usually the devs make up a "minimum requirement", then QA tests to make sure it runs on that configuration at least with playable framerate at the lowest graphics settings.

If you don't have the budget for that, you can look at how it runs on your system and guesstimate, since computers range so wildly that minimum requirements really mean absolutely nothing in terms of real performance.

This is something I would like to see improved in future PC hardware.

Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Quote:
Original post by felipedrl
So if I´m using a engine I should take it´s minimum and bump it up. That´s pretty tricky.

Thanks.

Choose your ram requirement based on what your program needs, than bump it up to closest number, 64,128,256,512,768,1024 etc...

and add atleast 128Mb for windowsXP and atleast 512Mb for Windows Vista.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!