• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Which language is ideal for this type of game?

This topic is 3954 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wasn't sure on a forum, so I found this appropiate, since I'm a beginner :). So, I finally found out what type of game I would make. The problem is that I have no idea what language is best for it. That's where I ask you. The game: A card game, with decks and all. Yeah, that's pretty much it. If any of you have played Magic or Munchkin, it's like a hybrid of those and others (though, of course, not a copy. Pfft.). My guess would be that I don't need a very advanced language, especially as the "graphics" of the game wouldn't be very advanced. At a later date, I would make a "browser" for online play etcetera, but I guess that will include the involvement of other languages, and I wouldn't need that right now anyways. For now, it's just the basic game. Thanks in advance. NOTE: And yes, I know game making is a lengthy process etc; no need to tell me.

Advertisement
Any language is appropriate. Pick the one you are most comfortable with.

From your description, any language with access to a graphics library would be a possibility. Unless your game has speed prerequisites (such as AI computations), I would suggest that you use a high-level language as opposed to the traditional C and C++ suggestions, because these require less effort to get working. My choice would probably be either C# or O'Caml, with PHP and C++ right after that (due to my experience with them more than an inherent advantage).

Flash.

- Works well in browser or standalone.
- All the graphics libraries.
- Somewhat simple syntax.
- Has been adopted by a large group of game developers
- Is fast and both, Flash and application, have small footprint
- Provides database/networking functionality
- Plenty of tutorials everywhere
- Plenty of sites willing to host your game online

I think the most important question is what languages are you familiar with? I would suggest you use the one you know the most about, find out what kind of capabilities it has for drawing graphics and getting userinput, and if what is available for that language is sufficient, then go fourth and make a game.

id use java just because it easy to make very nice looking forms and menus with swing and you could change it from a browser embeddable applet to application easily at any time

but really any language will work fine

Quote:
Original post by ScottC
I think the most important question is what languages are you familiar with? I would suggest you use the one you know the most about, find out what kind of capabilities it has for drawing graphics and getting userinput, and if what is available for that language is sufficient, then go fourth and make a game.

My main problem is that I at the present do not have any programming experience, which is why I need to know what I should go for with this particular project. I am willing to learn :).

Quote:
Original post by yfio
Quote:
Original post by ScottC

My main problem is that I at the present do not have any programming experience, which is why I need to know what I should go for with this particular project. I am willing to learn :).

I'm going to have to recommend the obligatory language of C++. :P

Quote:
Original post by ScottC
Quote:
Original post by yfio
Quote:
Original post by ScottC

Oh, good. Was thinking of getting Accelerated C++ anyways :).

More suggestions are welcome.

Well if you actually want to get it done I would go with Flash, or if you want to learn more about programming, Python, Java or C#. If you want to struggle with syntax and undefined behaviour, go with C or C++. I sometimes wonder if the people that recommend C/C++ to beginners have actually used anything else.

Quote:
Original post by yfio
Quote:
Original post by ScottC
Quote:
Original post by yfio
Quote:
Original post by ScottC

Oh, good. Was thinking of getting Accelerated C++ anyways :).

More suggestions are welcome.

Accelerated C++ is a great book.

Quote:
Original post by Scet
I sometimes wonder if the people that recommend C/C++ to beginners have actually used anything else.

Hehe.. I really like C++, i've tried my hand at Visual Basic, C#, Java, and various scripting languages.

Don't make our mistakes. Pick a language that hides irrelevant details such as memory management and platform specific APIs.

Although I don't know Flash/ActionScript, I'd actually recommend it as a first language for a game developper. It seems to be a quick way to throw a prototype game together.

Later on if you want to get serious, you could always learn Java, C#, OCaml or whatever better languages that'll exist when you get there.

Flash is a great choice and it isn't very hard to learn to begin with. You also have a very visual setup within the program, which will aid in learning (in my opinion). Plus, there are plenty of tutorials and articles that will get you started with games immediately because thats one of the more important uses of Actionscript (not to say you can't do a variety of other things with it). If you choose one of the other languages, you will spend a little bit more time learning syntax and other language specific items before you can advance.

The downfall is, the program isn't free or cheap (depending on how you value the dollar).

Although you are just looking to make a game, I still recommend delving into one of the more complex languages as it is good practice and applicable for any future learning.

Flash would be an excellent choice for this. Unfortunately however it's quite an expensive option, so unless you're willing to spend the money you might want to consider some alternatives.

You could probably make the basic game quite easily using Game Maker. In this case however the drawback is that I don't believe there's any networking capabilities available, so you wouldn't be able to later add that in.

The programming language I would recommend if you want to go that route would be Python, but any of the other suggested options (Java, C#, C++) would also work just fine. I do not particularly recommend C++ as an option; it's a valid choice and is certainly more than capable of what you want to do, and plenty of people do manage to learn it, but IMO it can be significantly more difficult for a beginner to learn than some of the other options out there.

I will look into Flash/ActionScript and see what I can do with it. Perhaps I even have the funds for it :).

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Quote:
Original post by yfio

1. Without any programming experience, you should forget about your card game for some time.

2. Start with a language that will make learning to program easy, such as Java or C#. For the love of god, don't take your first steps with C++, chances are high you will get frustrated and give up on the whole thing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement