Which language is ideal for this type of game?

Started by
14 comments, last by DevFred 17 years ago
I wasn't sure on a forum, so I found this appropiate, since I'm a beginner :). So, I finally found out what type of game I would make. The problem is that I have no idea what language is best for it. That's where I ask you. The game: A card game, with decks and all. Yeah, that's pretty much it. If any of you have played Magic or Munchkin, it's like a hybrid of those and others (though, of course, not a copy. Pfft.). My guess would be that I don't need a very advanced language, especially as the "graphics" of the game wouldn't be very advanced. At a later date, I would make a "browser" for online play etcetera, but I guess that will include the involvement of other languages, and I wouldn't need that right now anyways. For now, it's just the basic game. Thanks in advance. NOTE: And yes, I know game making is a lengthy process etc; no need to tell me.
Advertisement
Any language is appropriate. Pick the one you are most comfortable with.
From your description, any language with access to a graphics library would be a possibility. Unless your game has speed prerequisites (such as AI computations), I would suggest that you use a high-level language as opposed to the traditional C and C++ suggestions, because these require less effort to get working. My choice would probably be either C# or O'Caml, with PHP and C++ right after that (due to my experience with them more than an inherent advantage).
Flash.

- Works well in browser or standalone.
- All the graphics libraries.
- Somewhat simple syntax.
- Has been adopted by a large group of game developers
- Is fast and both, Flash and application, have small footprint
- Provides database/networking functionality
- Plenty of tutorials everywhere
- Plenty of sites willing to host your game online
I think the most important question is what languages are you familiar with? I would suggest you use the one you know the most about, find out what kind of capabilities it has for drawing graphics and getting userinput, and if what is available for that language is sufficient, then go fourth and make a game.
id use java just because it easy to make very nice looking forms and menus with swing and you could change it from a browser embeddable applet to application easily at any time

but really any language will work fine
Quote:Original post by ScottC
I think the most important question is what languages are you familiar with? I would suggest you use the one you know the most about, find out what kind of capabilities it has for drawing graphics and getting userinput, and if what is available for that language is sufficient, then go fourth and make a game.

My main problem is that I at the present do not have any programming experience, which is why I need to know what I should go for with this particular project. I am willing to learn :).
Quote:Original post by yfio

My main problem is that I at the present do not have any programming experience, which is why I need to know what I should go for with this particular project. I am willing to learn :).

I'm going to have to recommend the obligatory language of C++. :P
Quote:Original post by yfio

I'm going to have to recommend the obligatory language of C++. :P

Oh, good. Was thinking of getting Accelerated C++ anyways :).

More suggestions are welcome.
Well if you actually want to get it done I would go with Flash, or if you want to learn more about programming, Python, Java or C#. If you want to struggle with syntax and undefined behaviour, go with C or C++. I sometimes wonder if the people that recommend C/C++ to beginners have actually used anything else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement