Sign in to follow this  

[java] Is Java Dead on Internet ?

This topic is 3904 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I was going through my book - complete reference in java in which i came through a topic Java for Internet . It has been a long time that i have encountered any java applet or any such java program on web. As the book says internet was one of the reason that led to the widespread of java but i don't find any such thing. Is java dead on internet or it is still in use in other web areas. Any Comments. Thanking in advance. -nick-

I see Java applets all the time. As far as I know Java is the most popular means for client scripting on webpages. Check out AJAX for example. Really hot topic in web development over at Microsoft at the moment.

Dead? far from it...
take for instance web services, web development (JSP, servlets, struts, hibernate, etc) ah and Java made the first move into event driven web development with Java Server Faces (JSF) before the dark times... before Microsoft... before ASP.NET =) (just kidding, i love ASP.NET too).

You're mistaking Java for javascript. They are not related.

Flash, Shockwave and javascript (of which AJAX is just one use) have been stealing considerable market shares from Java applets.

I, for one, would really like to see more JVM based applets out there, but for some reason (lack of good standard graphics libraries?) it's diminishing.

On a side node, why does this forum insist on converting javascript to all-lowercase? That is pretty annoying.

Quote:
Original post by Ahnfelt
On a side node, why does this forum insist on converting javascript to all-lowercase? That is pretty annoying.

Really?

javascript, javascript, javascript, javascript...

wow. it does!

Java as a server technology is alive and well, particularly in the enterprise sector. Java as an applet technology is effectively dead -- it's handy occasionally and still in use in places, but its uses are not significant and it's mainly just a niche technology.

Applets are also being replaced by Java Webstart, which is a much nicer technology - you still get easy launching via a single click in a web browser, but you get a proper app instead of being stuck in a webpage (plus you get auto-update for free too).

Thank you all for your replies .

Applet was one of the pillars that led to the widspread of Java during the early stage and now from what is see and researched is that this pillar does not exist anymore or not widely used.I think this will not effect the Java position as it was now already a mature lang.

Any other inputs are welcomed.

Thanks,
-Nick-

It's still around and used everynow and then but not as widespread as it used to be before Microsoft stopped bundling in java with IE due to lawsuit with Sun.
Flash seems to be to dynamic websites now what java applets was when the first browsers started supporting applets!
Damn flash games everywhere I go and see kids using a laptop for sure!

Quote:
Original post by Ahnfelt

JavaScript ;)

Quote:
Original post by Ahnfelt

Why write javascript when you can write ECMAScript? ;)

Runescape uses Java, and as far as I know they have one of the largest player bases of any MMO right now (9 million active free players and 850,000 active paying players - from wikipedia).

I'm not sure if it's Java Webstart, an Applet, or both. It does run directly in the browser, however it also asks for permission to run (signed app), therefore it does not run in the basic applet sandbox.

Yeah, Flash smashed Java Applets; probably because they (Java applets) have display issues... For example when you have a Java applet on your page and you scroll down, the graphics go all weird... Also, it's not a very efficient language according to web standards; for example, it doesn't provide Anti-aliasing and automatic-rendering as standards; and this is where ActionScript (Flash/Flex) comes in. In Flash, the rendering and programmatical aspects are fused under the same structure so the develper doesn't have to worry about calling the "paint()" method every so often.

It's just too robust for the web.
That being said; Java is more secure than Flash, and for that reason, it is still used in various private business applications.

It runs in a signed Java applet. JWS apps never run inside the browser.

On a side node, Sun just announced JavaFX, which seems to aim at providing an alternative to AJAX (and Silverlight, Flex etc.) (they seem to aim at a billion unrelated things... their JavaFX Script for Swing looks great too).

Sign in to follow this