Help - Rope pls

Started by
4 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 17 years ago
can anybody help me. I have to make an animation of rope. there are two people (drawing with line only it is not important) and they waggle the rope. I do not know how can I do this animation it is not important this animation written language I mean it can be OpenGL C++ C# and etc. pls help me..
Advertisement
Sounds like a basic physics problem; have you seen NeHe's rope tutorial? You could also use CodeSamplers example of a rope/chain physics using the Tokamak SDK.
This isn't really a DirectX question, I'm going to move you to... for Beginners.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I've done it before in 2D. The easiest way (I think) is to just use spring physics. Assume that you have a chain of masses connected by springs, and use Hooke's law to move them around.
If two people are moving a rope then wouldn't that form a wave? If so then your problem just becomes using a sin function:

X=Time
Y=Sin(Time*Frequency)*Amplitude

or something similar.

Example:
Quote:Original post by shadowisadog
If two people are moving a rope then wouldn't that form a wave? If so then your problem just becomes using a sin function:

X=Time
Y=Sin(Time*Frequency)*Amplitude

or something similar.

It's a little more complex than that.

You have to simulate the rope using spring physics, as UltimateWalrus said. A Verlet integrator will do the job quite well (even in 3D).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement