• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Averaging edge lengths of a polygon

This topic is 4046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have recently stumbled onto this problem of making the edge lengths of a polygon equal. Basically I want to preserve the original vertex positions as much as possible to ensure minimal changing of the shape. Here is a pic to make things more clear: http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/8720/averagevv9.png Thanks in advance, Matt

Advertisement
Are the polygons always going to be convex? If so create a regular polygon with the same area as the original shape and at the same position.

Convex and concave. Actually I was using the method you mention, but the thing is I don't know how to rotate the polygon to make it as close as possible to the original one, by means of vertex positions. If they don't line up as much as possible (I mean perfect polygon's vertices and the original polygon's vertices) then when you move the vertices of original polygon to the perfect one, it looks like you rotated it, which distorts the model.

Someone told me I could do it with vectors, but I am not sure how?

Thanks again,
Matt

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement