• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alun

Name the effect!

This topic is 4280 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to include an effect, similar to that displayed in this screenshot from Black and White, in my game. Screenshot I don't know what it's called so I'm finding it hard to research how to do it. Does anybody know what it's called, and can anybody point me in the right direction on how to do it?

Advertisement
I don't think you could get everyone to agree on how to refer to that, I'd just call it a glowing ring. It's most likely an alpha blended ring with animated texture coordinates.

To elaborate a little, I would guess that the light streaming up from the base circle is a simple animated mesh, or perhaps even just a static but uneven mesh that is rotating, and which either way has a texture map applied to it.

The circle on the ground is probably just a quad (or two triangles) that similarly has a texture map applied to it.

I would guess that both use additive blending, although I'm not sure.

That looks to be a ring of particles, you can see them repeating every now and then. The particles are additivly blended (SRC+DEST).

It looks like there is also a series of vertical axial billboards placed less frequently around the circle. These have an animated texture applied to them it appears.

You can easily generate the positions around the circle using sin() cos() and a scaling value to determine the circle's size.

It would require < 500 aplha blended particles, and two texture switches to render the effect, it looks like they seed each particle with a pseudo-random color to mix it up.

Just a guess. It's hard to tell unless you can see it in motion, and it's been far too long since I've played B & W. The reason I don't think it's just a simple 2 quad base is because that would look wrong from low camera angles.

- Dan

Hmm... If i was trying to do something like that i would assume that it is a simple sprite with one-one alpha blend with some radial noise on alpha channel.
Can't be sure, but i think even if it's not what i think my method would look pretty the same.

I don't think that animated mesh or texture coordinater are needed, you can draw that ring with a simple circle formula.

EDIT:
I didn't play B & W and like dgreen02 said it's really hard to tell without animation. But if looks like he described then it should be particles positioned with ring formula, i think.

[Edited by - Cigguh on March 25, 2007 2:18:08 AM]

It looks like a particle emitter to me. The dead give away is the glowing circular regions all around the circle. Each circular region could be a single texture picture drawn numerous times at random positions around the ring's path.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!