• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[web] Flash movieclip buttons

This topic is 4074 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm was in the process of creating a full Flash site, when I ran into a problem. I'm creating the buttons for site, however, I don't want to use a boring button symbol, but a better movieclip symbol. I finish one movieclip (the home button) with the text inside. I figured I could just duplicate this movieclip and edit the text according to each button (Home,About,Media)... I was wrong. When I go to change the text, it changes the text of the other buttons. How can I duplicate movieclip buttons without the changes effecting the others? Thanks!

Advertisement
That's because each button is an instance of the first. You either have to put the text on top of the button (not in the movieclip) or duplicate the button from the library and use each library item individually (eg. not make many instances of the same library item)

I'm not sure if I'm clear at all, but an item in your library is like a recipy to create a button (to reuse one of Andy Harris' analogies) when you drag the buttons on your workspace you create buttons from the recipe, when you change one, you change all other buttons made with the same recipe.

Does that make sense?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!