Remembering

Started by
6 comments, last by levjs 17 years ago
I've been reading this tutorial at cprogramming.com for C++ and was wondering what is a good way to remember what I just read? Because usually it doesn't sink in. Anybody have any suggestions?
Advertisement
Well, when it comes to programming (at least for me) you just have to keep using a reference to do it until it will eventually sink in. Eventually it will. Everyone has their copy and paste time (which seemed to be prolonged for me :) ) but you will eventually have it remembered so well that you could do it in your sleep.

One thing that helped me was a cheat-sheet. You can just write down all of the commands you know and there syntax and put them on your desk for quick reference.
If at first you don't succeed ...

Try, Try, Try Again !!

Ok for real, where are you stuck, are you reading the first tutorial, then actually practicing it ??

while (!understand){  // Read a tutorial, and do it.}
----------------------------------------Now just hit that link that says 'Rate This User' [wink]
hmm a cheat sheet would help a lot. Man I feel stupid for not thinking of that idea. Thanks for the reply programmer101.

Edit: darren I understand the tutorials but could never really get the functions packed into my head.
Quote:Original post by RelaxRelapse
I've been reading this tutorial at cprogramming.com for C++ and was wondering what is a good way to remember what I just read? Because usually it doesn't sink in. Anybody have any suggestions?
Just keep programming. Over time more and more stuff will stick, but in the meantime just refer to an appropriate reference when you need to. (Even experienced programmers use references all the time - no one can be expected to remember every detail of the SC++L, Boost, etc.).

If there's something in particular you're having trouble internalizing or getting your head around, you can always ask about it here.

[Edit: A little slow...]
Yeah go with the cheat-sheet.

I tell you I still do it to this day, with SQL ;-)

Just keep at it my friend, trust me.

I started out in my youth, taking things apart just for fun, and rebuilding them.
I lost track of how many times I got an electric shock from something [tears]

And one day I learned my lesson, and it never happened again.

it will come to you buddy, just keep at it ;-)

And if all else fails, apart from asking all these kind people in here.
Just hit "F1", and "help" is at hand.
----------------------------------------Now just hit that link that says 'Rate This User' [wink]
People usually remember things really well through two methods: repetition and association. But what is it you're having trouble remembering? The syntax? Functions? Concepts?
Johnny was a chemist's son by Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was HO4
If it's the function names or their spelling or capitalization your having trouble with, or the arguments to the functions, then it'll come with time. Like Programmer101 said, everyone has a copy and paste time. Just keep looking back for what you need and eventually you won't have to.

That's why it's called a language, and just like a language, the more repetition and frequency of use, the faster and better it'll get into your head.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement