camera

Started by
21 comments, last by tinu 17 years ago
Hi, To orbit around an object in y direction, how should I modify my up vector. [Edited by - tinu on March 26, 2007 1:28:53 AM]
Advertisement
You don't. If you use a look-at matrix, set the look-at vector to your object, and move your camera in a circle around the object.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
How to
move camera in a circle around the object.
You google for some basic matrix mathematics. Are you sure you want to rotate the camera around the object, and not rotate the object on the spot?
s.I need to rotate the camera around the object.

D3DXMatrixLookAtLH() will do the job then, and you can just have the camera position move in a circle as:
D3DXVECTOR3 vPos(sin(angle), 0.0f, cos(angle)); where angle is the angle you want to use, which will be incrementing each frame.
Given an angle and a radius, you can use some simple trig to determine the X and Y position.

Camera                             +                            /|                          /  |                 radius /    |                      /      |                    /        | Y                  /          |                /           _|              / theta      | |             +---------------+         Object      X

SOHCAHTOA

X = cos(theta) * radius
Y = sin(theta) * radius

You'll need to modify the axes to rotate on the Y axis (for simplicity this is an example of rotating on the Z axis).

EDIT: Yeah, what Evil Steve said.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
Yes.
This is true in orbiting in x-direction
But to orbit in y direction what should i do?

z = Radius * cos( Angle );
y = Radius * sin( Angle );

Is this correct?

If I do this,At particular angles my object disappears.

To avoid this, should I modify my up vector also?

Quote:Original post by tinu
Yes.
This is true in orbiting in x-direction
But to orbit in y direction what should i do?

z = Radius * cos( Angle );
y = Radius * sin( Angle );

Is this correct?

If I do this,At particular angles my object disappears.

To avoid this, should I modify my up vector also?
To orbit around the Y axis, you modify X and Z. You only change the up vector if the "up" direction has changed - which is if you rotate the camera around either X (Pitch) or Z (roll).
To rotate the camera around X axis (pitch as mentioned)
how should i modify my up vector

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement