Looking for game engine

Started by
21 comments, last by llama9000 17 years ago
http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/tgb/
Advertisement
Whoa, someone beat me to posting about Torque? WTF!

EDIT: More praise about the Torque Engine: It is a very good system for beginners, and offers good server architecture. I like it, so it can't be half bad.
You do know that Torque is quite well-known, yes? It's not surprising that someone else mentioned it.
Quote:Original post by shadowisadog
For examples of completed games from the PopCap framework just go to PopCap as many of the games on there were built with the framework (Such as Bookworm Adventures for instance).

Also I wrote my game in the PopCap framework:

Speedy Solitaire

mmm... I looked at games with PopCap, and they're all nice - but I am NOT interested in making puzzle games and the like... thanks though...
Quote:Original post by ravyne2001
It sounds like you're probably over-engineering your new projects with all your new-found OOP knowlege. It's a very common pattern that, having just found out about the glories of OOP, to then apply them with such reckless abandon that the project becomes so obese and immovable as to discourage the author, yourself, from continuing it.

If you'd like to get things done now, then by all means find yourself a good, pre-built engine. It'll give you a good chance to learn what works and what doesn't from a stable platform.

However, I'd also recomend that you take your OOP knowlege one step further and apply it to studying up on good design practices and patterns. Once you've got that under your belt, and have been through a couple completed game projects, you ought to have enough understanding to complete a decent first-pass at your own game engine.

Good luck!

This is very critical of me, but I think you're hitting the spot more or less - you should consider providing psychotherpay :)

Thank you for your honest post - Yes, I believe you are right... my "new-found" OOP (found one year ago) IS kinda what is driving me around... And it is also what stops me when projects become to large to handle... but I truly believe that proper documentation methods and following a design document would save me from that mess... and I am learning, the stuff I am currently writing is way more simple and well organized than what I started to write months ago... it's improving...

What I CAN do is continue writing my own little engine... and learn from it, but I feel it is a waste of time when there are other wonderful engines out there and I can get straight to business...
Quote:Original post by llama9000
For a Java specific 2D engine, I'd say go for GTGE (http://www.goldenstudios.or.id/products/GTGE/). Has plenty of tutorials/samples, and an active forum.

I've worked on a similar game on GTGE and it only took a day to do it, it's quite pleasant actually :)

I've already tried using GTGE and to tell you the truth I wasn't very happy with the guy's documentation and tutorials...
Quote:Original post by ShotgunNinja

EDIT: More praise about the Torque Engine: It is a very good system for beginners, and offers good server architecture. I like it, so it can't be half bad.

Hey :)
It seems like someone HAS beat you...
...anywho, isn't Torque an overkill for me? I am not currently interested in making a 3D game... I need a fair 2D engine maybe with hardware accelarated 2D graphics...
Another question:

Is JOGRE the Java equivelant of OGRE?
Quote:Original post by Warlax
Quote:Original post by ShotgunNinja

Hey :)
It seems like someone HAS beat you...
...anywho, isn't Torque an overkill for me? I am not currently interested in making a 3D game... I need a fair 2D engine maybe with hardware accelarated 2D graphics...

Well, 3D = 2+1D, no?
I started using Torque about two weeks ago, and spent most of this week building a UnitTest framework for TorqueScript.
I can't tell about how difficult it might be to do a 2D game in Torque, but the fact that I got the engine to fully initialize and show a startup screen using the scripts without ANY of the example scripts in just two evenings (spending one of those two evenings on some stupidity from my side) surely speaks for Torque.
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
Quote:Original post by Warlax
Quote:Original post by ravyne2001
It sounds like you're probably over-engineering your new projects with all your new-found OOP knowlege. It's a very common pattern that, having just found out about the glories of OOP, to then apply them with such reckless abandon that the project becomes so obese and immovable as to discourage the author, yourself, from continuing it.

If you'd like to get things done now, then by all means find yourself a good, pre-built engine. It'll give you a good chance to learn what works and what doesn't from a stable platform.

However, I'd also recomend that you take your OOP knowlege one step further and apply it to studying up on good design practices and patterns. Once you've got that under your belt, and have been through a couple completed game projects, you ought to have enough understanding to complete a decent first-pass at your own game engine.

Good luck!

This is very critical of me, but I think you're hitting the spot more or less - you should consider providing psychotherpay :)

Thank you for your honest post - Yes, I believe you are right... my "new-found" OOP (found one year ago) IS kinda what is driving me around... And it is also what stops me when projects become to large to handle... but I truly believe that proper documentation methods and following a design document would save me from that mess... and I am learning, the stuff I am currently writing is way more simple and well organized than what I started to write months ago... it's improving...

What I CAN do is continue writing my own little engine... and learn from it, but I feel it is a waste of time when there are other wonderful engines out there and I can get straight to business...

Surely it was meant as constructive criticism [wink]

The fact is this: Nearly everyone goes through this stage at some point in their programming journey. It boils down to the fact that for most people the natural progression is to learn about OOP, and what it looks like, before we learn to apply it intelligently. This is par for the course, even in most college curriculum.

The rare few who avoid it are either have a natural ability for developing well structured systems, or had the benefit of learning good design practices before learning OOP in any specific language.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement