• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Texture loding == Mipmapping?

This topic is 3951 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wondering is texture loding a different thing from mipmapping altogether or it's just another buzz word referring to the same thing?

Advertisement
Mip Map - "This process takes a texture and breaks it down into smaller pieces such as 1/2 the size, then 1/2 the size of that, and so on, so that different textures can be used at different distances from the texture. This helps the texture retain what its overall image should look like at different distances."

I believe people also use Mip Maps to save texture memory as well, but I could be mistaken.

Yup, I know about the mipmaps but never heard of the term loding before. Asking this because it came out during my interview. hehe.

As far as I know using mipmaps uses more memory because you store the actual texture along with each mipmap level.

LOD-ing goes a bit further than just mipmapping, I'd say: LOD is simply Level Of Detail, which can cover more than just the resolution of a texture. Think about shaders, etc: you could fall back to a much simpler shader on a far-away surface, while using a heavy one on surfaces close-by.

So, mipmapping is a form of LOD-ing. Though LOD usually refers to changing geometry over distance, not specifically textures.

Quote:
Original post by Captain P
LOD-ing goes a bit further than just mipmapping, I'd say: LOD is simply Level Of Detail, which can cover more than just the resolution of a texture. Think about shaders, etc: you could fall back to a much simpler shader on a far-away surface, while using a heavy one on surfaces close-by.

So, mipmapping is a form of LOD-ing. Though LOD usually refers to changing geometry over distance, not specifically textures.

Level of detail is a program/engine feature that usually handles textures through mipmapping, while mipmapping is a general low level mechanism that can be used for other purposes than level of detail.
For instance, there might be similar objects with the same texture but with different sizes (not necessarily more or less distant from the camera), and mipmapping would be useful against the aliasing that would appear in a resampled large texture or to blend between deliberately different textures of different sizes.

Quote:
Original post by boldyman
Do you mean LODing or loading ?

Sometimes they use the term LODing for LOD (Level of detail), for example in this
url : LODing

That's what I thought as well when I was asked the question. I thought he was referring to loading or mapping or something. But ya, I am referring to LODing. Seems like people use the term LODing to referring to any technique that varies detail.

Quote:
Original post by Bladezor
I believe people also use Mip Maps to save texture memory as well, but I could be mistaken.
A mipmapped texture uses ~33% more memory.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement