• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Miguel Chang

[.net] MS Visual Studio 2005 Pro include file help

This topic is 4130 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Pro and in the past I have used Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 for my programming. Unlike Visual Studio - Visual C++ 6.0 is alot easier for me to include files all I have to do is go to the directory and add header files by dropping them in the folder. But I want to use the power of Visual Studio 2005 for better work flow. My problem is that when I go into Visual Studio 2005 Pro and I go to tools and options and then projects directory I see there's more than 10 different directories which is VERY confusing. So how does it all work? I just want to include some of my old header files in Visual Studio 2005 from Visual C++ 6.0 but I am having problems finding out how to do this without the IDE going crazy on me about which files to include. Please help thanks!

Advertisement
;( I just looked at your MySpace. You work for EA, I feel sorry for you.

Anyways, Visual Studio 2005 still has the plain old include directory among other ones so transferring all your old stuff over should be pretty easy.

Which header files in particular are you having trouble with? What are you include paths set up to be (in Tools -> Options -> Project and Directories)?

We need some specifics.

assuming for a second that your header files don't have the same name as any other s in use anywhere, all you do is:

1. Make a directory for your header files. (for me its "C:\Develop\Include")

2. Add this directory to the VC++ includes list, at the top (they are searched from top-to-bottom, so anytime you install a newer SDK, it must go above the built-in visual studio entries).

that's it (you may need to close and reopen VC to make it see the change, but I'm not sure about that.

Another thing, I started putting my files in an extra subdirectory (C:\Develop\Include\xo for my Xainosis projects for example) and use #include lines like #include <xo/MathUtils.h> so that there is no possibility of any file naming conflict at all.

Without reading your post and just by viewing your myspace I would have known that you used vs6

A Computer Programmer

< iostream.h >

int main( )
{
cout << "Click on these words for more information about them!" << "

should read

#include <iostream>

int main( )
{
std::cout << "Click on these words for more information about them!" << "

This says to me that you will have many problems trying to use your source that was made with vs6. Vs6 was/is awful and pre standard, with this comes many things that are just incorrect with it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!