It's been three years

Started by
13 comments, last by Taharez 17 years ago
Three years since I joined and posted on this forum. My old posts are here. Thank you to Simian Man for linking to them. I was 13 three years ago. I wanted to be a game designer, or a game developer, or a game artist, or anything to do with making games. So I once stumbled across here, and I posted a thread about wanting something easy to use, with "no programming". It was such a pathetic (and badly typed out) post that people thought it was a joke, and actually laughed. I reacted pretty badly, but that event stuck with me for a long time. Even back then I was trying to learn to program. I went about it all the wrong ways, trying to learn C/C++, or &#106avascript. I failed in all attempts (even the &#106avascript &#111;ne), and I know the reason: I was trying to make a game. I failed in all attempts because my sole goal was to create games, and no matter the language, that takes a slight bit of time, at the least. Time which I wasn't ready for, I wanted to make games <i>then</i>, the <i>now</i> of the moment. I failed, in all cases, because I didn't have the patience to try anything but game design. About two years after this, I'd changed a lot. Hell, after &#111;ne year I'd changed a lot. But after two I had gotten my first TI-83+. I learned to program &#111;n this, and not making games. I learned by making little utilities and such. I soon progressed, moving in the first few months to VB.NET (to make games), to C# (there was better support for games), and then a couple months after to Python (far better support for games, and cross-platform). During that time I also developed my first fully functional game, Pong, for the TI-83+. Since then I've learned a couple new languages, I've progressed a lot more after learning python and starting up a project for a text rpg, and changed my career goals vastly. Even though I'm relatively new to programming, I do think I have &#111;ne piece of advice to give out to prospective game developers: to not develop games, but programs for yourself. <i>I'm not sure which subforum was the best fit for this.</i> <!--EDIT--><span class=editedby><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - scorchsaber on March 26, 2007 9:35:03 AM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->
Advertisement
Moving to For Beginners, so others may see this.
This should be a "Sticky" [wink]
----------------------------------------Now just hit that link that says 'Rate This User' [wink]
I agree this would probably be more convincing to beginners than when "experts" say it.

By the way, you can see your old posts here.
I agree with your piece of advice. Too many beginners here jump straight into the next big game and it often barely gets anywhere. The ambition is great though, you need the desire to work to succeed.
Rated you up for a very well considered and sensible post. I'd hope to agree with Simian Man that perhaps your advice may be better recieved coming from a "beginner" than from seasoned developers.
Good post, too many people don't understand that you really do need to learn some basics before you jump into something significant... Even if you do want to make a game, you've really got to start super simple, and before you even start super simple, you have to learn the basics of the language and that itself takes time.

Good job, the biggest thing is that you buckled down, stuck with it, and have now actually created a game (pong), that's really the first step.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Perfect! I think this actually ís understandable for noobs[smile]! Welcome to the world of the programmers, you seem to understand what it takes.

You know what? It's summer, I'm happy, and I'm finally making some progress with programming with my own thingies. I'm gonna rate you up[smile].

-Stenny

[Edited by - stenny on March 26, 2007 2:55:39 PM]
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
You have clearly understood the point of starting out small. This was the type of thing I though I was going to post, but I will make that as an article on my new site. That's experience you are talking about.
I have to say I'm surprised that the reaction was so overwhelmingly positive. I vaguely suspected that I was weak-willed in my first attempts.

I've admitted a lot of faults here that I don't like, namely, the previous posts of mine. I'm not sure how to respond, other than with the fact that I'm smiling, and have been since I read the replies. Thanks! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement