• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ForD

problem with read() function in python

This topic is 4161 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having a problem with using the read() function in python, it will read a file, but only the first couple hundred bytes. I can't find out why this is happening or how to fix it. After a lot of googling, I found it it may have something to do with blocking mode, but I don't know what that it is. I also checked my memory to make sure I had enough, which I do. The weirdest thing, is that i was working perfectly fine last night. So, how can I fix this?

Advertisement
What are the parameters? Is it a binary file? If so, did you open it with "rb"? If it's not binary, and you're reading it as text, does it contain any weird characters (happens in some XML feeds).

Is there an error? Does the application hang? Crash? Exit? How many bytes do you read? Is it always the same number? If so, which character does it stop on?

I haven't experienced this before, and I wasn't able to recreate it. I did a little searching, and I found this:

Quote:
from a thread on the Python-Dev mailing list:

The only safe way to read and write to the popen2 files and avoid blocking,
without special knowledge of the io behaviour of the executed command, is to
use non-blocking mode. To set a file object "f" into non-blocking mode
requires manipulating the file's file descriptor using the Python library
fnctl module as follows;

import os,fnctl

# get the file descriptor
fd = f.fileno()

# get the file's current flag settings
fl = fcntl.fcntl(fd, fcntl.F_GETFL)

# update the file's flags to put the file into non-blocking mode.
fcntl.fcntl(fd, fcntl.F_SETFL, fl | os.O_NONBLOCK)

Once a file is in non-blocking mode, the file object's read() and write()
methods cannot reliably be used. Instead you must use the os.read() and
os.write() methods on the fileno() of the file;

import os

str = os.read(f.fileno(), count)

count = os.write(f.fileno(), str)

It might be easier to just call file.read() until you've read all the data from the file, though. That would make your code easier to read, too.

- Mike

@Antheus: its just a text file, and no it doesn't hang when I call the function. It just oputs text from the file like it should, except, instead of outputting the whole file, it only outputs the first 100-300 bytes. The amount it outputs changes from file to file.

@doctorsixstring: I'll try what you put in the quotes. As for calling file.read() multiple times, that doesn't work. The first file.read() reads the first 100-200 bytes, then the file position skips to the very end of the file. It seems to always stop on a null/whitespace byte, but its never the first null/whitespace byte in the file.

Edit: the fcntl module seems to onl be available in Unix, so that won't work.

Could anyone else possibly help me? I tried reinstlling python, but tht didn't work.

Its nothing complicted, its just reading from a file:

f = open("test.txt", "r")
f.read()

Quote:
Original post by ForD
Its nothing complicted, its just reading from a file:

f = open("test.txt", "r")
f.read()

Show us more code. Like the buffer you read into and what you do with it, and whether you also try to write to the file, etc. Show us your whole program.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Show us more code. Like the buffer you read into and what you do with it, and whether you also try to write to the file, etc. Show us your whole program.

That is all of my code. That's literally all I'm trying to do, open file and read it. Nothing more.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!