• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game specific scripting language

This topic is 4002 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello people, am currently working on my final year project. The topic I've choosen is the development of a game scripting engine. I'm going to conduct research into python,lua and ruby. However, I'd be greatful if I could get suggestions about scripting languages that are specifically made for game development. What I mean is, am trying to develop a scritping language that has BUILT in constructs that are relevant to games e.g states,objects/entities,NPC,TRIGGER etc I'd appreciate any ideas about constructs that could be useful to game developers and links to the website for scripting languages that are game specific. Thank you for your responses.

Advertisement
Events and triggers, state machines, classes, inheritance and high execution speed are a few topics that I can think of for game scripting development.

Try having a squiz at GameMonkey Script, UnrealScript, and AngelScript to name a few.

Quote:
Original post by evolutional
www.somedude.net/gamemonkey

Yes! I've recently started a project that needs a real scripting engine for in-game behavior. I downloaded GameMonkey after reading the tutorials in the articles section here on GameDev, and I'm happy with my choice. Writing C++ functions in my game that can be called from scripts is shockingly easy, and writing scripted functions that can be called from C++ is almost as easy. That was really my main requirement in a scripting language, so hats off to the guys who created GameMonkey.

Look at something that has built in support for fibers/co-execution, so you could write something like this:

GoTo(SpotX);
TalkTo(Foobar);
If (Answer == "Yo, dude!")
{

} else
{

}

For most scripting languages you end up with callbacks or events, which is a lot less logical for designers and other non-programmers.

Odin

To elaborate on Odins post, those are also known as latent functions. What it means is simply that when called, the script suspends until the action, which may take several seconds, is completed.

Another thing you might want to look into is Erlang style message passing, where you have a lot of processes (typically not OS processes though) that communicate asynchrously by sending messages to each other. It leads to painless parralel and/or distributed scripting. For example, you could have one process for each npc.

Lua is made for games, but it makes no assumptions about the structure and content of the game. Take a look at Renderware Studio. That is probably more along the lines of what you are thinking of. It is not a scripting language, but it has much of the functionality you find in a scipting language.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement