• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shadowisadog

Approach to 3d collision detection and response

This topic is 4161 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone :). I am working on a 3D game and I have approached the point where I need to start working on collisions. This is my very first 3D game and I am creating it in XNA. I have a scene graph and level geometry renders decently using a BSP tree: It will have a third person camera and a controllable character. My thought was to encase the character in a bounding sphere and generate bounding boxes for each wall and obstacle. Then if a bounding box intersects I would do a more detailed collision technique. Is this overkill? I could just project a ray and test for ray plane intersection. I have never done these things so can anyone with experience inform me of the pitfalls to either approach? Detecting a collision doesn't have me too concerned, but what I am very concerned about is collision response. When my character hits a wall, I want him to slide along it. I know that I would need to alter the velocity vector by the direction of the wall, however I am not sure how to calculate this direction. Anyway any help would be great :). Don't think that I am not researching things on my own, I just want some general advice from people who have done this type of thing before ;). Thanks.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!