free UML tool recomendations

Started by
6 comments, last by mrcheesewheel 17 years ago
I use Enterprise Architect at work, but want something for home projects. I found this page. Can anyone recommend one of those, or one that's not listed. Mainly want easy to use class and sequence diagrams.
Advertisement
Pen and paper. Or if you really want to be digital, OneNote.
I usually use StarUML, but quite often after sketching it out on paper first [grin]
I use UML Pad when I'm not using Visio. Try an older version if you have problems with the current version (the current version crashed on my system, but an older version works just fine for me).
As far as UML tools go, I'd recommend StarUML too. However, I found myself recently using Freemind, the mind-mapping software, for my design needs. You can probably use it in the "pre-UML-tool" phase, because it's much easier to map and organize your ideas in it first.

I use UMLPad, though I've not tried StarUML yet so I can't compare. UMLPad isn't all that great but it's ok for basic diagrams.

I also use Freemind a lot for planning projects and organising thoughts about them. The structure of mind maps reallys help guide you towards an almost exhaustive list of use cases and technical restrictions, limiting the number of surprises you run into later.
Visual Paradigm Community edition.

It's free, and it's pretty damned good.
I've used Dia (under linux) and found it's not too bad. It can't output code directly, but there is an application called "dia2code" which can convert your Dia UML class diagram into code. Dia is a more generic diagram program than just for doing UML, but I've found it acceptable for my purposes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement