• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alieninvestor

how would someone patch a game to support a gamepad?

This topic is 4076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Even with a decompile, you're looking at a hideously difficult job adding support directly to the original game code. It'd take some obscenely good skills and a ridiculous amount of time to add such support with a hex editor.

The typical way to go about this is to rig up something that translates the gamepad input into keyboard input (or whatever the game supports), and just let the original game code run, thinking it's getting whatever input format it expects. In fact, a fair number of joystick/gamepad drivers support mapping to keyboard input off-the-shelf, which is an even better option if available.

i guess i'll do that. i have a usb ps2-to-pc converter that doesn't support this natively, so i'm going to try a few programs i googled. but do you suggest anything particular?

I can't think of any programs off the top of my head which do this, sorry. Some Google investigation should turn up good results though; it's fairly common, and code should be available somewhere out there. (I've had quite a few people do this to my own games, so I know it's a fairly popular task [smile] )

Someone else a while ago was trying to generate "fake" keyboard inputs in this thread:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=419473

If you can create a DirectInput program that captures the game-pad input, you can use the info in that thread to generate keyboard presses from it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!